How do you brush ...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rebraced

#1 Post by Rebraced »

WOW KK you have a super routine. It is interesting to see wow different people brush their teeth. Since I have only had my braces a week I am just developing my routine. At first I would barely touch my teeth with the toothbrush because my teeth and gums were so sensitive. My ortho gave me a special toothbrush for braces and some diagrams on how to brush.

In the morning I brush after breakfast starting with the upper arch in no particular pattern. I am still careful as I am afraid I may break something (lol). Then the lower arch and gums. My ortho told me before I got my braces I was brushing to hard and that was not good. I now have a soft toothbrush and try hard to be gentle. He also said short nervous like strokes were better than longer ones. After I am done brushing I use my Listerine of which I have all the horrible flavors.

At lunchtime if I am at work I just brush normally. Where I work it is no problem to take the time and do a good cleaning. I am paranoid that my braces will look dirty so I keep then clean whenever I can. If I am out somewhere and I can't brush I just rinse with water untill I am satisfied.

After dinner I do the same as lunchtime.

Before bedtime I do my most thourough cleaning. First I brush well using the 45 degree meathod, along the brackets, behind the teeth and on. Then I TRY to floss using the Oral B Superfloss for braces. After that routine I use ACT with flouride the Bubble Gum Blowout flavor...

I used to use Listerine at nightime before bed but I would always be so thirsty at night. The alcohol in the listering seems to dry out my mouth. Using the ACT at night seems good for now and I like the taste. I am still deciding which water pick to get and then I will add that to my nightime routine. By then I will really be tired out and ready for bed.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

ricardo2

#2 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi KK,

Well, I think I might tell you mine in private, to avoid being lynch-mobbed! I'm obviously a freak!! :lol:

LUCY xxx

PS - Did the disclosing tabs ever stain your clear ligs blue? (before you went purple!) :banana: Only, I've not used mine since the clear ones were put on. Ta!

LiveWire

#3 Post by LiveWire »

Hi KK,

Here is my routine..although I am quite new at this...

Morning - Floss, rinse with Peroxyl,use interdental brushes as needed. brush with my Oral B Pulsar at a 45 degree angle, starting at the gumline and above the brackets in a circular motion about 5 or 6 times each tooth. Then I come back to where I started and continue going in a circular motion, still at the same angle but then bring my toothbrush down and over each bracket and then move on to the next tooth. Then I brush the back of teeth and biting surface. Then I start at the gumline of my bottom teeth, with tooth brush angled up, in circular motions same as the top, and bring my toothbrush up over each tooth. Brush my tongue. Rinse with Listerine. (Usually about 5-10 minutes total) :shock:

Lunch/Dinner - rinse well with water and listerine, floss, use interdental brush, then brush teeth following same routine as above.

Bedtime - Same as Morning.
Remember I am just beginning and do not have an archwire in so flossing is still very easy for me. As well I am only braced on top right now so I have it easier than some of you. :wink:

What is a disclosing tablet?
I can only imagine how time consuming it will be once I get my archwire, molar bands and tpa!

Kiwi - you sure are thorough!

Rebraced - you sound like you have a good routine too!

Lucyeloop - I read yours and you are definately the most well brushed person I have ever known. :) (Wonderful that you take the time!)

Enjoy life to the fullest and take chances! :0)

ricardo2

#4 Post by ricardo2 »

Thanks KK!

Yeah, I'm not bothered what other people think of me! LOL! If the very small minority bothered to read and understand the reason WHY I have to clean so hard, rather than just than just criticise, then perhaps they'd see my point. I honestly thought other people would have cleaned a similar amount!!! :lol: I figured that if I'm still getting decay, then I'm obviously not cleaning hard enough!!! :roll: Oooops, big mistake(!) :? I agree that everyone is different - I for one never judge a book by it's cover!! Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion! Thankfully, most people were really helpful. Certainly made interesting reading, if nothing else! :)

Re: the disclosing tabs.....Wow... I've never come across purple ones! I've found when I use them that nothing gets stained apart from my tongue.... I guess that my OTT brushing & cleaning routine beforehand may have something to do with it!! :wink: I'm gonna give them a go with my clear ligs.... watch this space - I'll let you know what happens!! :?

Take care

LUCY xxx