elastic o-rings suck!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sparklecopy

elastic o-rings suck!

#1 Post by sparklecopy »

they always pop off. It's so annoying. Why don't the ortho's use Wire ties instead? they never come off.
My Teeth HURT REAL BAD!

amychelle

Wire's Not All it's Cracked up to be

#2 Post by amychelle »

I have wire ties and wish I had ligs!

These little monsters hurt.

I admit they aren't coming off, but ligs don't rip your lip open when they come untucked from behind your archwire either.

I'm glad I have them because I don't have to worry about loosing them, but I'm also glad that I have wax.

And I want COLOR!

jenns91civic

#3 Post by jenns91civic »

I never had ligs come off unless it was during one of my times where I kept skipping appointments (like 6 months or so between going). Wire ties use more pressure and they may not want that for your teeth. They also take a lot longer to put on than ligs.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Rebraced

#4 Post by Rebraced »

amychelle, I agree wire ties can hurt when they come untucked and they do put more pressure on your teeth. Another thing is that ligs seem to smooth out the brackets and make them more comfortable where with the ties I feel the brackets more.

I want color also and I am going to have ligs put over my ties next time to make them more comfortable and get some color.....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

Grapefruit

#5 Post by Grapefruit »

hi, can some1 plz tell me what O-rings are?
--i luv sports.......and shoes--

Caroline

#6 Post by Caroline »

They're ligs.
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

mtbrncofn

#7 Post by mtbrncofn »

I've never had a lig pop off. I couldn't live with just plain ol wire ties. How boring would that be?! :D
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

cdwright

Re: Wire's Not All it's Cracked up to be

#8 Post by cdwright »

amychelle wrote:I have wire ties and wish I had ligs!

These little monsters hurt.

I admit they aren't coming off, but ligs don't rip your lip open when they come untucked from behind your archwire either.

I'm glad I have them because I don't have to worry about loosing them, but I'm also glad that I have wax.

And I want COLOR!
Amy, your ortho does not cover your wire ties with ligs? That helps with the wires not coming unspooled and protects your mouth a bit. Plus you can have the color you want.

It never hurts to ask.
Oh sure, I see Bart gets to have a gun. - Homer Simpson.

decisionmade

#9 Post by decisionmade »

My ortho used wire ties just to get me started..my braces have been on one week- but said i can change to ligs at my first adjustmnet..that it is up to me...why doesn't everyone have the choice?..oh and my wire ties are not covered with ligs as someone here remarked... i'm having no problem with them coming unraveled ..YET..but i am sure it is to come..sparklecopy couldn't you just request a change to wire ties?
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

londonchick

#10 Post by londonchick »

i've had wire ties on my top front 6 teeth for just over 2 months now. My ortho used them instead of ligs as the teeth were exactly how she wanted them to stay next to each other. Now they are being pulled back as a block of 6. She hasn't redone them at all and they haven't unravelled or caused me any anoyance, except that sometimes my toothbrush gets stuck a little.

I miss having colour on the top now.

I too have never had a lig pop off