What is it like having bands put on??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceUrself

What is it like having bands put on??

#1 Post by BraceUrself »

Well, tomorrow, my 8 spacers come out after 2 weeks & I will have my metal bands inserted. I am very excited & anxious but I just want to get opinions. How does it feel? Is it easier or harder (pain wise) than the spacers being put in? What should I expect? TIA for any info or answers!
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

Grapefruit

#2 Post by Grapefruit »

oh man! its sooo painful bcuz your teeth are already sore from the spacers, u have to keep biting down and down so they fit well...It is a lot harder than putting spacers in, its pretty painful as well.....I CRIED! My gums were bleeding n stuff... lol I'm usually very tolerant to pain, but man o man, that was on another level! Sorry if i'm scaring you!

And the assistant who did mine had to switch 2 of mine and she was so mean! she would put it in all the way, wait for like a minute and then remove and put another one in! :yikes:

I was so mad wen I left.... :-=

Bye!!
--i luv sports.......and shoes--

jenns91civic

#3 Post by jenns91civic »

I don't remember bands being put in as being painful at all. It was definitely a very weird feeling though. I vaguely remember them having a hard time finding the right sizes but it wasn't that bad. This was in May of 1998 though so I don't remember details anymore. It definitely did not traumatize me though.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

CelestialVoices

#4 Post by CelestialVoices »

I get my records done/spacers October 19th and then bands fitted October 24th, so I was wondering about that as well. Hopefully, it won't be too bad :)

Shelby014

no pain for me, hopefully for you too braceurself!!

#5 Post by Shelby014 »

i didnt find it uncomfortable at all, i just really didnt like the ortho pushing on them in my mouth, but i WOULD STRONGLY RECCOMMEND biting down after they move to do something, because she had mine up above my teeth, after i bit down, it felt much better, and your gums become accustomed very quickly to the bands, i didnt feel any discomfort at all, so dont be scared, i would say the most uncomfortable ( i dont want to use the word pain, because it isnt really pain, move like discomfort) is when they snap your wire into place, a bit of pressure goes on your teeth, and if you get wire ties, that is a little uncomfortable. but it will be ok, never fear Advil, Tylenol, and Aleve is here!!! (LoL)
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

stargirl

#6 Post by stargirl »

Honestly, getting the bands on was not painful, but definitely the most uncomfortable of the braces installation process.

For me, it took a few tries to find the right fit - and it's no fun trying to force too-small bands onto your molars. Once they find the right ones, they'll have you bite down on this plastic stick to get them into place.

I've had 2 of my upper bands done twice! Aren't I lucky?

Evelyn

#7 Post by Evelyn »

They weren't painful, just kind of tight. You'll be fine,

good luck!
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

KJM

#8 Post by KJM »

I didnt find them painful at all. A bit of pressure to get them in, and once they were in place they were fine.
I had mine glued on, so they were placed twice- once for the ortho to check placement and then put on with the glue ( the glue was the worse part, ICK!)
Good Luck!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

aussierob

#9 Post by aussierob »

Bands: piece of cake
The most discomfort from the whole process of getting braces: mild soreness on inside of lips from the brackets. Went away after 2 - 3 weeks. Waxing is good for what ails ya

jay

#10 Post by jay »

makes me kinda glad i have all brackets

wating4braces

#11 Post by wating4braces »

Nope, not painful at all. :D It did feel kind of weird to have these metal rings going around my teeth, though. They fitted my bands before i got braces because I was getting expanders (which was the only reason i got bands). The first time they put it in, i was really sensitive because i only had bands on and i was thinking, oh my lord, i will not be able to stand these things! But after i got a load of metal (braces and upper and lower expanders) i couldn't even feel them! the worst thing is the thing they attatch the wire to on the band. It rubs against my cheek and is like a huge sharp square piece of metal. I had to use wax for a few weeks, but other than that it was fine. No worries!

Katie

Ice

#12 Post by Ice »

IF YOU WEAR YOUR SPACERS
---
Having the molar bands fitted is a snap. All of my bands fitted first go, perfectly.

thecoffeemouse

#13 Post by thecoffeemouse »

I can relate to your concerns. I was very worried and anxious about getting my spacers out and bands put on. I just got mine on 9/29. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. It feels strange, but it didn't hurt. Since getting them I have bitten my tongue a few times, but nothing horrible.

I wish you the best! I found that the worst part of getting them was the stressing before. I hope the same for you. :O)

dressed2killl

#14 Post by dressed2killl »

I didnt find the whole process pleasant, but it wasnt that bad. I just remember having to keep biting down and them trying to make the bands fit. My big complaint is AFTER you have the bands on. I must get lil sores on my tongue at least once a month from the irritation of the bands. I just use a lot of wax :D

LiveWire

#15 Post by LiveWire »

When I got fitted last week - I didn't find it too bad, but then again I was not too sore from the spacers...and the hygenist was great and the first ones that she fitted were the ones that she left on... :D

I didn't find it too bad....some pressure (but then again I only had them on for about 45 minutes) so I guess my opinion does not really count...but I will see how things are this week..

Enjoy life to the fullest and take chances! :0)