Braces--first 24 hours

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LiveWire

#16 Post by LiveWire »

Hello fenderella,

I am on my first 24 hours in braces and feeling a little sore...I know it has to get worse to get better :shock: so I am just waiting for that to pass and then i can start feeling better....but I know I am feeling sore around the molar bands ( I am not sure if the cleats are the round tubes that are attached to the molar bands) but they sure are making me sore :cry: I have tons of wax on them and keep rinsing with warm salt water to help ease it...I am sure that all my talking today hasn't helped either :? but my that is part of my job and I have to :roll: ..

Anyhow...glad that we can share our tough times and enjoy our good times together... :D

Enjoy life to the fullest and take chances! :0)

LiveWire

#17 Post by LiveWire »

Meryaten, sorry for the silly question but..what do you mean lingual side of the brackets?

lpgapro

#18 Post by lpgapro »

I got my metal braces top and bottom on the 15th of August about an hour after I had surgery for anchors. I was expecting something worse than I've had. I've only used wax a couple of times on the inside back bands that irratitated my tongue....that was a real pain. I board a plane and flew out the next day. I have had very little pain other than that. I have popped a bracket twice and have had one adjustment. I just haven't quite figured out where my bite is. I have 22 and 1/2 months left and we will see how this all turnes out. I have deteriorating jaw bones and am still going through a lot of bone grafts and surgeries to correct my collapsed bite. That has not been fun....the total cost of my new mouth is going to reach about $100,000.00. The ortho being the least expensive. I wish everyone the best of luck and a great new look!

redjunebug

#19 Post by redjunebug »

100,000.00 !
:shock:

i think i'll quit complaining now... :oops:
Value ALL Families.

LiveWire

#20 Post by LiveWire »

Thanks Meryaten!

I wasn't sure. :)

donnamac

#21 Post by donnamac »

Just got a few spacers and front braces this morning about 11. The worst part of the whole ordeal this morning was the cold water on my sensitive teeth. I just had osseous surgery on Aug. 16, and my gums are almost totally healed. But a few teeth? WOW...cold and hot really hurts them. I had been reading here on this forum and knew to take Advil before I went. So far, not too bad....just not too far... :lol: I will go back on Friday, October 14th for my back braces. I'm really happy to have started on this adventure. My 28 year old son thinks it is so COOL...

BraceUrself

#22 Post by BraceUrself »

Since getting my top braces on 6 days ago, I have had no real pain to speak of with my teeth but as it has been mentioned, the lingual side of my tongue has been SHREDDED by the bands but I have now gotten a bit used to it & can go without wax now-You learn to adapt quickly. I do rinse with salt water & it helps ALOT! :wink:
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time