wire ties vs. ligs

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hannah164

wire ties vs. ligs

#1 Post by hannah164 »

i just had an adjustment today. My teeth hurt real bad. But anyways I have one wire tie on one tooth and the other four have ligs. The ortho put a lig for the first time on my impacted tooth that just came down and boy did that hurt. The assistant was having such a hard time. Does anyone know why this would be? What is the diff.? I've never had a wire tie before.

-Hannah :ouch:

cdwright

Wire ties

#2 Post by cdwright »

are for problem teeth that do not want to move into line. they do not lose elasticity and are tighter. Thank goodness I only had one of those and it was for about 3 months.
Oh sure, I see Bart gets to have a gun. - Homer Simpson.

Shelby014

#3 Post by Shelby014 »

wow!! you only have 1 wire tie!! *is thinking how lucky hanna164 is* i have four wire ties, because i have rotated canines, means they are turned in ward creating a "corner" in my arch instead of rounded, but that is quickly going away, they are becoming quite straight, and i have only had braces a week!!! but my wire ties are to keep the arch wire from warping and popping the bracket off when the tooth starts to rotate back into place. Hope this helps!! :D
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Rebraced

#4 Post by Rebraced »

I have wire ties on all teeth upper and lower. They almost always feel tight with pressure.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

hannah164

#5 Post by hannah164 »

Thanks for all your replies guys! I've never had wire ties before but they hurt so bad. I can hardly bite down its so painful. I haven't really eaten all day. Sorry for you guys who have wire ties on all your teeth. That must hurt. JI don't know what they're trying to do using them but I hope it works!

-Hannah :ouch:

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Wire ties for me just hurt for a few days. I had all my bottom fronts in wire ties. Only thing that I didn't like is flossing with them in.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Dee

#7 Post by Dee »

Hi, I have all wire ties, they seem OK to me, but then I do not know any different as I have never had ligs.
Dee x

fins

#8 Post by fins »

rebraced, I'm with you. I have all wire ties and almost always have tension on ALL the teeth. It's a strange feeling to live with.
fins

decisionmade

#9 Post by decisionmade »

I have all wire ties and have no problems..my ortho said its up to me if I want ligs or wire ties..wire ties just take longer to put on..
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

BraceUrself

#10 Post by BraceUrself »

As far as I know, I only have normal ligs-I can DEFINITELY feel them doing their job! :lol:
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time