OK. How bad is this going to be?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Yeatsmom

OK. How bad is this going to be?

#1 Post by Yeatsmom »

After having "OK" teeth most of my life (and I admit to being over 50 now), suddenly for the past couple of years, I've not liked what I've seen in photos. :cry: My teeth are fairly straight, but one top canine, in particular, has drifted back and back and back some more, and the other is sort of trying to hide, too. And suddenly, my two front teeth look a little more 'rabbity' than I'm comfortable with. :? On the lower teeth, a space has opened up between two teeth, and it's visible. And my bite just simply feels awful. So, after toying with it, I sought an ortho's advice. Three, actually. The first one wanted to do jaw surgery because he said he could not perfectly fix the malocclusion otherwise. I won't do surgery, partly because of the enormous risk of 'permanent pins and needles' in lip and chin in those over 50. He didn't want to do it by extracting two upper premolars because it would not do good things for my face/profile. So compromise is fix upper stuff (there is enough room) and use, as he said, "lots of rubber bands" to bring the lower teeth forward to a) close the gap and b) compensate for the increased overjet that will happen when those canines get shoved back in line.

What does this mean? I mean, I know what he said. But what is "lots?" I also have a slightly off midline. Perhaps I'll have to buy stock in a South American rubber plantation. (BTW, the second wanted to file down the sides of my already smallish front teeth, not appealing, and the third was pretty much in line with the first....so I am using the first. Spacers on Oct. 17, which makes me think the braces will go on on Halloween. LOL. :BigTeethGrin:

Maybe I just need to be calmed down. As it happens, the ortho I chose was the same one my boyfriend's two eldest daughters had (I didn't know that; I didn't tell said boyfriend about it all until I was ready to do it...and he says he's OK with it. The ortho says 24 months plus six total retainers...so I guess that might put a wedding off a bit..... :wink: )

Any information appreciated.

Dreamer

#2 Post by Dreamer »

Congratulations Yeatsmom! If it makes you feel any better I am 49 and just got full metal braces in April of this year to finally correct an overbite best they can. I didn't opt for the surgery either yet I did have 4 extractions (2 top & 2 bottom). My treatment is expected to be a total of 30 months and so far it's all worth it already! You'll find that your braces make you look and feel younger and really there isn't much pain, just some tenderness more than anything but it's easily controlled! Yes, I bet you are right that right about Halloween you wil be in braces! :) My advice is to just go with it and enjoy that you are improving yourself!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

Chris

Re: OK. How bad is this going to be?

#3 Post by Chris »

Yeatsmom wrote: So compromise is fix upper stuff (there is enough room) and use, as he said, "lots of rubber bands" to bring the lower teeth forward to a) close the gap and b) compensate for the increased overjet that will happen when those canines get shoved back in line.

What does this mean? I mean, I know what he said. But what is "lots?" .
Yeah, I was told "lots of elastics, ie, rubber bands" too. I'm still waiting for them and its been almost 1 1/2 yrs. But they are coming.... :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Yeatsmom and welcome. My orthodontist originally told me I needed lower jaw surgery to correct my bite, but finished with: "but you are not going to do it, are you?". I am 52 and I said no. I had about a 6 mm overjet, some crowding in narrow arches, especially my upper. There was a delay in my getting braces, so by the time I got them instead of basic metal ones, they put the Damon 3's on. Since they have widened my upper arch, my lower arch has now been given the room to shift forward where it belongs! It may not be the best solution, but it works for me. They are still working on leveling and making room for all the teeth and then they will correct my overbite- it's not bad, but needs a little help. Just doing what has been done has really made a big difference.

Besh wishes on your journey.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

redjunebug

#5 Post by redjunebug »

good luck!!! im 31 and have always hated my crooked teeth...even though they weren't that crooked. i have the classic "vampire" look (ill have to post a pic) anyway, i thought...hey, ive given birth, how bad can braces be? HELL. i just had my first adjustment 2 days ago and my whole face hurts...i finally gave in and had my ortho call me in a painkiller so i could sleep..i cried all night wed nite and my partner said.."lets just go and have them off, i dont want you to be in so much pain" but, alas, im trying to toughen up and see it through...it sucks....BUT...i have lost about 10 lbs in 3 weeks so hopefully when the braces come off in about 8 months...ill be really thin with great teeth!!!!

hey...gotta try to be positive...eh? :soremouth:
Value ALL Families.

Yeatsmom

Thanks!

#6 Post by Yeatsmom »

Thank you all for your comments and support. :heart: I think it is going to be OK. I think my boyfriend will be fine with it, and I think I will be fine with it. I'm actually beginning to be excited to get started, because the more I look, the more I want the "rabbit look" to be banished forever.

I guess teeth are sort of like foods; the older you get, the more foods you appreciate and the less you can eat without porking out. With teeth, the older you get, the more they slide around in your mouth, and the less you want any part of yourself to be less attractive than it can be. Solution to both: Get braces and take small bites of only the things you really like. Oooh, insight. :idea: Thanks, guys!

geekgirl

#7 Post by geekgirl »

congrats for taking the plunge, and good luck!

as for the wedding, i was told that if a wedding was in my future, that arrangements could be made, either by having everything taken off for a day or two, or by finding a great photographer who could photoshop the braces out. my periodontist actually got married while he himself was in braces, and had lots of advice and encouragement. so you don't necessarily have to postpone the big day - just food for thought!
Waiting for life to settle down a bit before committing to 3 years of braces, lower jaw surgery, crowns and some whitening.