Hi new member Just got braces on at 30 yrs old

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Libra1013

Hi new member Just got braces on at 30 yrs old

#1 Post by Libra1013 »

Hi everyone new to the forum and I just got traditional metal braces put on last Friday it's been a huge adjustment but I just hope it was all worth it :) I'm very nervous about the next appointment I will be getting thicker wires put on I hope everything goes well and I can get these annoying bite blockers that are literally in the back of my two front teeth off!!!! lol

MissEvaH

Re: Hi new member Just got braces on at 30 yrs old

#2 Post by MissEvaH »

Welcome! I have molar buildups which I thought I'd never get used to eating with, but I have. Hopefully you'll experience the same thing with your bite blockers. It has been my experience that if you can get through the first week you're over the worst of it, but, then again, I'm only 3.5 months in! I hope I'm right!

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

Welcome and best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kat1088

#4 Post by kat1088 »

I just got braces too at 29 yrs old. I have had them since May 3rd. The first week I believe was the worst as far as tooth pain and them rubbing the gums. Going into my 3rd week now and I barely notice them. :)

Tyrantblade

#5 Post by Tyrantblade »

Unfortunately Bite Blocks/bite turbos can be something uou may jeed for quite a while, i had them on my bottom molars for 8 months, but after the first 2-3 months they were so much less bothersome
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Ziggy

#6 Post by Ziggy »

Welcome! I just graduated to the square wires and that adjustment wasn't bad at all so don't fret. I also have those buildups which, IMHO, are the worst part of this whole process. Pretty much everyone here complains about the buildups so you're in good company.

KatieMiller

#7 Post by KatieMiller »

kat1088 wrote:I just got braces too at 29 yrs old. I have had them since May 3rd. The first week I believe was the worst as far as tooth pain and them rubbing the gums. Going into my 3rd week now and I barely notice them. :)

I also got mine on my 3rd as well. The first 5 ish days was rough, but now the only thing I really notice is when I eat, I still get quite a bit of food in them. However, it is lessening day by day! I just had my ligs changed today ( I had the clear, with ceramic braces, but I felt like they were getting stained.) I went with a light lavender :) It is kind of fun now to switch them up. If you would have told me it would eventually be "fun" during the first week, I would have looked at you like you had 3 heads! :crazy:
Adult with Ceramic Brackets, Natural colored bands, and metal wire. Phase 2 after having them as a child. Started on May 3rd, 2016. Estimated completion April/May 2017

mbagwell04

#8 Post by mbagwell04 »

I am in your same boat. At 30 yrs old I just got them and have never had them before. It's been exactly 2 weeks and by the first week the pain just disappeared. During my first week I wanted to rip them off- I couldn't eat any hard food. You'll get used to them and forget anything is there until you look in the mirror!

Libra1013

#9 Post by Libra1013 »

Thank you to everyone for welcoming me :) I am starting to get used to the bite blockers it still feels like so much is in my mouth though like my mouth is too small for the braces lol but I'm slowly getting through it one day at a time

Branwillaws

#10 Post by Branwillaws »

Hey there, I got my braces put on last year, 27 at the time, 15 months and 2 surgeries later here i am! you will get use to the braces, at first it was ripping the inside of my mouth apart, and ofcorse it was sore. I find everytime they change the wires my teeth are sore for the next day or two :( But the difference it has made in such a short time is incredible! you will see!

Melin0318

#11 Post by Melin0318 »

Hi I am 30 and just got my bottom braces on tuesday I get my top ones on next week which will be ceramic. I am super self conscious and dont feel like myself. Did anyone else feel like this??

Branwillaws

#12 Post by Branwillaws »

I think everyone is self conscious about it especially being an adult. I find that nobody really judges or says anything and I pretty much live everyday not even knowing I have them lol lots of people get braces now and many are adults. That's my experience anyway.

Bracefacekris

#13 Post by Bracefacekris »

I'm 30 and just got my braces on the 20th! Just passed the first week and I feel like it's all downhill from here. The bite blockers are the worst. They told me it would take another 2-3 adjustments before I could get them off.

autumnl

#14 Post by autumnl »

Hi!! I am 1 week braced tomorrow at 33 years old. I've only had a couple people comment on my braces- and not in a mean way or anything. Kind of like a "good for you" kind of way. The kids on the other hand-i've caught a couple staring at my mouth in a bit of disbelief lol. I just chuckle when they do.