Think before you disclose...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rockexrolloh

Re: all things being equal..

#16 Post by rockexrolloh »

paw655 wrote:
Given that I paid $300 for these things, and it would be very helpful to the next ortho - do I share it or not. If I do, I have to explain why I bailed after doing records, which might make the new ortho leery of my commitment. But, the truth is still pretty scary since the ortho community where I live is pretty small and even if I did not use her name, but used a female pronoun, it would be obvious who I was talking about because we have few female orthos.

So the question is back...to disclose the bipolar fiasco with ortho #1 when I get an appt. with ortho #2?

Thanks for keeping me grounded though this, everyone's support has been great.
Paw, you could always tell ortho #2 that you just did not feel comfortable with her. I'm sure he/she would understand.

Roxxm

Re: Think before you disclose...

#17 Post by Roxxm »

I suffer from mental illness, psychotic episodes and major depressive episodes. Before making the decision for ortho, my mental health circumstances were carefully considered along with everything else. Honestly, I *am* kind of afraid I may rip off my braces if I slip into psychosis. It's more likely I'll have a depressive episode and neglect my teeth for several months. These are risks I decided to take.

I fully disclosed my medical history during consultation. The orthodontist did ask if I currently had a psychiatrist that I would continue to see during treatment, he did not mention it otherwise.

I would have been more than irritated if denied treatment due to my mental health. An adult should be able to make such a decision without dispute. It's your responsiblity alone to consider the risks. If this orthodontist would refuse treatment due to mental health concerns, would she also refuse someone who plays high impact sports because there is higher risk of damage?

djspeece

Re: Think before you disclose...

#18 Post by djspeece »

As a registered nurse, it is so disheartening to hear of such experiences with other healthcare providers (in this case an orthodontist), especially when it negatively impacts a clinical social worker, a profession I profoundly respect and appreciate. Your ortho is ignorant, plain and simple, at least when it comes to mental health issues, and you should run, not walk away. The relationship is probably damaged beyond repair. Despite the risk, I would advise full disclosure in the future, in any event. You need your providers to be aware, and hopefully sensitive to issues and symptoms such as lack of oral hygiene indicating difficulties with depression (for example) and urge you to return to your psychiatrist. It's the foundation of trust. And if you can't or won't trust them, I don't think they should be treating you. In my experience dentists are woefully unaware of mental health issues, and I don't think they get much in the way of education in dental school. I have worked with oral surgeons (OMFS) in an inpatient setting, so I do have some knowledge. Many, thankfully, are aware due to their own issues or experiences with family (and a few residents --trainees, as it were -- came to me for advice, not wanting to reveal the issue to their supervising surgeon.) There are so many legitimate reasons for disclosure, as have been discussed above, and the real test of a professional, in my opinion, is not how well they do with classic ideal cases but how well they do with challenges, and when things go wrong. I hope you find the right orthodontist. You deserve it. Best of luck t
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying