2 Weeks To Go! Can anyone help me?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

elly123

2 Weeks To Go! Can anyone help me?

#1 Post by elly123 »

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum as a member, even though I have been reading it for almost a year now leading up to the day I finally get my braces on. Being that I'm an "adolescent" most (make that ALL) of my friends have already had braces but I was slow to lose my baby teeth. Now that the last two were finally "yanked" out friday oct. 7 I'm ready for my braces on Oct. 25 and spacers on Oct. 18. I'm actually excited to get my braces on since everyone else is done already! I have a few questions if anyone can help....

1. My orthodontist told me I could get clear if I wanted to, but only on the first four teeth on the top. I chose this option. Do you think he means first four KINDS of teeth (which is what my friend had) or literally the first four OF my teeth? Wouldn't that look a little weird? He said I could change my mind at any time if I wanted all metal so I'm still debating.

2. I have an appliance in now because I had to have 2 teeth pulled about 3 years ago and my teeth needed to stay in place and not shift. I had spacers in then and don't remember them hurting at all but now I read on the boards here that the spacers were the worst part...anyone have any advice? Is this true? I cannot remember them it was SO long ago. Looks like I won't be eating hard foods for a month now since my extractions limit my diet as well...
:cry:

Ok I think that's it for right now...thanks so much

only about 2 weeks to go!!!!

gracie381

#2 Post by gracie381 »

Not sure about your treatment, but I will be having all metal put on October 13. I had the metal spacers, and they hurt a lot. I have molar bands in now and a wire that runs through the roof of my mouth. I have not had a decent meal in weeks. I started with the metal spacers and then had 4 teeth extracted. As of right now I can eat somewhat, so I'm taking advantage considering that Thursday I will be back to soft foods yet once again!! It will get better though. Be positive.
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

swan

#3 Post by swan »

I'd go with all metal, because I think it would look weird, too, having 4 teeth in front clear and the rest metal.

Spacers do hurt (I just had to get another set on Monday (the plastic kind) so that the rest of my teeth can be banded and bracketed this coming Monday), but just for two or three days. After that, I've been able to chew relatively soft food with them (e.g. french fries, thin cucumber slices, sausage, bread).
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

elly123

#4 Post by elly123 »

thanks everyone! I'll probably decide last minute about the clear...but does anyone think he may have meant the first four KINDS of teeth? To me, that makes more sense but I'm not an orthodontist :)

Anyone had a similliar situation with the clear/metal combo?

thanks!

*Marta*

#5 Post by *Marta* »

Well, I guess it's the 4 front teeth (literally). Although I admit that would look a little weird to me... 8 front teeth - much better, but do you think an ortho would mention the numer "4" if they had 8 clear brackets in the set?
I've heard of people having 6 clear brackets in front, but 4...? It's better to ask your ortho the day you'll have your spacers put in, and maybe he/she could show you the whole set of brackets in - I don't know - a box? That would help, I think.

As for spacers, I was really scared when I was getting them, because all I had read about them was "THEY HURT!!!" But it wasn't that bad! My molars were a little sore, that's right, but spacers were more annoying than painful (I could feel them when I'd bite down, the annoying soft rubber feeling). But that's totally bearable, and one week - that's not much.

Good luck with your treatment!
99 weeks in braces (4 Dec 2003 - 27 Oct 2005)

elly123

#6 Post by elly123 »

Yes that is a GREAT idea I am going to ask him next week so I have a whole week to decide. Just 4 would look a bit weird!! Thanks so much for your advice :)

Feel free, everyone, to continue to post and share your stories too!

WAIT! I remembered my other question! YAY!
What are some of the better braces colors? Im looking for something kind of noticeable in a sense that they are classy looking...i was thinking light blue? Any help would be great thanks! 8)

CelestialVoices

#7 Post by CelestialVoices »

If I were you, I'd go with all metal also because to me having 4 clear and the rest metal wouldn't look right. I wish you luck on your orthodontic journey! :)

Echo

#8 Post by Echo »

Luckily I didn't have spacers, the brackets on my molars were just cemented right on the tooth like all the rest. Being 34, I considered getting the clear brackets, but decided against it because all metal was cheaper, and also, I like things to look uniform, and I would hate having some clear and some metal brackets. If you are thinking of colored ligs, then I would definitely go all metal anyway, you are kind of defeating the purpose of clear brackets if you want colored ligs. I have also heard that the clear brackets are a bit bigger than the metal, so they may not be as comfortable.
[/url]

swan

#9 Post by swan »

elly123 wrote: What are some of the better braces colors? Im looking for something kind of noticeable in a sense that they are classy looking...i was thinking light blue? Any help would be great thanks! 8)
I assume you mean ligature colors. Light purple has been my favorite so far.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

Echo

#10 Post by Echo »

I have liked all the colors I have had so far, light blue, light pink, and now purple. However, I like the shade of purple that is showing up in my avatar. In real life, my ligs are not that color at all. I wish they looked more like they do in the picture.
[/url]

mackenzie

#11 Post by mackenzie »

I went with the metal because they work faster. And my spacers were pretty bad, I couldn't chew for 3-4 days, but my little brother's haven't hurt at all.

caryca

#12 Post by caryca »

For my the spacers were really ok, no pain at all!!! so it really depends.

I think the clear bracets on the top first 4 teeth is much better then metal if you feel less confortable with the whole expirienc, it does not look wierred as most of the time people see only the first 6 teeth on top. So it may be a good idea.
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.

elly123

#13 Post by elly123 »

Thanks again for your support, everyone! I'm leaning towards the clear again...but I change my mind everyday...

And as for the spacers issue, these extraction sites are pretty tender so I've got enough soft foods in the house to keep me full through my spacers experience too. I'm starting to really enjoy rice pudding!

Your support means so much to me :) Thank you!

I'll keep you posted, and I'll be sure to post my final decision and well as how it turns out in the days to come

This board is the best! Thank you!!

HMA

#14 Post by HMA »

I have clear on the front 6 on top, and the rest metal (I agree that 4 clear would look strange, but 6 looks good). I am sooooooooooooo thankful that I got clear and not metal on those 6. I see people every now and then at the store or passing by on the street, etc who have metal and every single time I'm thankful I got clear. Everyone has their own reasons for making the decision they did, so I can only tell you about my own personal decision.

Clear brackets don't work any slower than metal, but they are harder to remove. So that's why I'm glad I only have 6 and not all clear. The brackets themselves do not stain, it's the ligs that stain if you're not careful. I haven't had any problems with staining so bad that it's noticable to anyone else. They are a TINY bit bigger than the metal, but I've had more problems with my cheeks hurting from the metal brackets, not the clear ones. I love them!!

elly123

#15 Post by elly123 »

Wow you guys are great, thanks! I will talk to my orthodontist next week and make my decision from there. Thank you :D