Teeth worse before they get better?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nanhut

Teeth worse before they get better?

#1 Post by Nanhut »

I noticed recently that my teeth seem to be getting worse particularly on the bottom. I have a small gap right in the middle and one tooth that was not "leaning back" is now doing so. Does it get worse before it gets better? When should I be alarmed that things are not going well? :(
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Wired:7/26/05
Estimated treatment: 12 months
See 'Our Braces Stories' for pics and info.

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

I can say from personal experience that I've had gaps develop where I didn't have gaps before. Many changes happen during the entire long, slow process. Not necessarily "worse before better", but "different before finished".

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

SuzyCentri

#3 Post by SuzyCentri »

Yes, my teeth changed for the worse before they straightened. In one case, the ortho created a gap, so he could make room to rotate a tooth. In another case, he's pulling one up, to be able to file off a chip.

Baby steps...they'll get you there. Hang in there!
Upper ceramics on 6/21/05 (on, off, on)
Lower metals on 7/23/05
-
Suzy
3 teenagers, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 goats, 3 chickens, 1 guinea, and 3 guinea pigs...
what more could a girl want???

Eleni

Re: Teeth worse before they get better?

#4 Post by Eleni »

Nanhut wrote:When should I be alarmed that things are not going well? :(
Only get alarmed if it is time to take the braces off and you are not happy with the results. Also, get alarmed if any tooth/gum hurts or begins to discolor. DON'T worry about anything else, it's not worth it!

You will see gaps open and close, teeth shift back and then forward and then back again. Its one big party and your teeth are drunk and trying to stumble into their rightful place. Seriously, it’s normal and something all brace wearers have to accept and make peace with.

Just keep on smiling! :lol:
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Rebraced

#5 Post by Rebraced »

I have the same thing happening with gaps appearing where I did not have them before. I guess it has to do with making room for my crowded teeth to move over. I'll worry about it if it gets worse but I believe this is supposed to happen.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

vanilla

#6 Post by vanilla »

I have noticed gaps appearing and then closing. It's all due the unravelling progress. At the moment my teeth are for the worse since I've developed this very noticable and very awkward gap between my upper and lower teeth even when I clench my jaw. It's annoying since it's been getting progressively wider as my teeth straighten. I hope this gap closes since I've got a very aggressive lisp as a result.
Ceramic + metal since 31/03/05

Vonster

#7 Post by Vonster »

I think it's pretty normal..my midline is further off than it was when I started, and I developed a wicked overbite for a couple of months after I first started on elastics. I can see the big picture though, and it will all work out in the end. Good luck!

Vonster

Damon 3's, top and bottom
April 5, 2005

dkt3

#8 Post by dkt3 »

I have odd gaps too and a front tooth that is clearly now longer than the other. I asked the ortho and he said its all normal. Teeth will be in odd positions before in the right position... at least I now know my teeth could have been worse!!!

Chocoholic

#9 Post by Chocoholic »

Hey All,

Well my top teeth seemed to straighten out with no major problems, but the oer crowded bottom ones are doing all sorts of weird things, as they're being pulled apart and into line, some have moved forward, others have gone backwards, but I guess it's all progression to the final result.

But to say I'm now getting bored of waiting is an understatement.

doglover1395

#10 Post by doglover1395 »

In the 7 months I've had braces, my teeth have gotten a lot better looking in general, but I've had huge anoying gaps open up where I used to not have any. Oh well- at least we know that these problems will be fixed before our treatment is done!
Braced: 3/4/05
Debraced: 5/21/07
Sentence: 26 months