I'm so nervous about the pain!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

S_Ranger

I'm so nervous about the pain!

#1 Post by S_Ranger »

Man, I've had braces before and I could clearly remember what the pain was like. The most painful part of my treatment was when my teeth were sore from movement and it was time for a lig change. Oww! Just remembering the dr.'s assistant untying those ligs with such difficult and the pain it laid upon my teeth gets me all nervous! fjkelwjflkwe jfl. I get braces once again this wed. @ 2:30

S_Ranger

#2 Post by S_Ranger »

I come across a lot of your posts Kiwi, your always so positive! Thanks for being yourself. :D

raregem

#3 Post by raregem »

My teeth hurt SO much when they close the brackets after putting in a new wire. The brackets never want to close so it's very painful because of the force they exert. It gets worse each visit.

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

I too, have brackets with doors. So far closing hasn't been a problem, but opening them they have had trouble and have had to exert a lot of pressure. Ususally if I have a sore tooth/teeth, I mention it to them and they support the sore teeth with there fingers before they do any work on them.

S_Ranger, since you have had braces before, maybe (hopefully) it won't be as bad.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

joplin

#5 Post by joplin »

I've never experienced any pain during adjustments and not too much after them either. Knocking on wood! Anyway, I hope this will give you a little encouragement: you just might be as lucky as I've been so far :)
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

No one has mentioned this on this board yet for pain. My Ortho gave me a arch shaped flat piece of rubber to bite down on when my teeth are sensitive. It is clear and shaped just like the arch of our teeth. Does anyone have one and use it? Sorry that I cannot describe it better. I have not used mine that much. I don't know what it is called. I have to assume that when your teeth are a little sore from being moved that they kind of like to be "seated" back down. Hmmm, could be a good topic to ask the Dr. Anyway, again, I don't use mine very much, but what I do when my teeth are sore is try not to "baby" them too much and the pain always goes away within 1-2 days. This has now worked 3 times for me. And really, the pain is only there when you try to eat. It is not a throbbing pain for me. I know others may have a different experiences. By the time I go in for an adjustment my teeth don't hurt at all and I am ready to start over again. Anyone?

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi,

Bite wafer it is! Like I said I don't use mine, I just try to chew regular stuff, as much as I can tolerate until the soreness is gone. (I won't use the P word) I don't think of it as pain anyway - it is hard to describe.

I also use an Interplak which costs about $30.00. You put warm water in it and it sort of messages your gums... it feels so good!

Wow they have a vibrating bite wafer I found on the internet!

http://www.sonictechnology.com/TOOTH%20MASSEUSE.htm

There are all kinds of solutions out there. Plus you have lots of support from us!