Depressed with gaunt face

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

waltzpeony

Depressed with gaunt face

#1 Post by waltzpeony »

Hi all, I had braces for close to a month and I noted that my cheekbones had grown enormously and the sides of of cheeks have grown gaunt. I look skeletal. Feeling very depressed and will be removing them soon. My face was oval/squarish and now it is like a diamond shape (with protruding cheekbones)

Did you face shape return after removal of braces? Or early removal of braces. Thank you.

Wish to get some hope here.

Lovespain5

Re: Depressed with gaunt face

#2 Post by Lovespain5 »

It is frequent to see a change in your face shape during an orthodontic treatment. Sometimes the face become thinner and sometimes squarer. It may be a consequence from the treatment itself as the orthodontic treatment changes the shape of the face and the profile. So in this case the changes are final. In other cases the changes are temporary and come from the weight loss during the treatment or the braces which may transform your smile, your cheeks, your lips...and the face shape become normal after the debanding.
Which type of treatment do you have? With extractions? For which initial problem? Thank you for the informations.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

waltzpeony

#3 Post by waltzpeony »

normal orthodontic treatment with metal braces. no extractions. just slightly crooked teeth in the bottom 4 inscisor and top 2 teeth.
sighs.

Lovespain5

#4 Post by Lovespain5 »

No extractions neither Herbst appliance? So it's probably temporary. Do you wear rubber bands? Have you seen some change in your profile?

waltzpeony

#5 Post by waltzpeony »

Nope, no extractions. No herbst appliance, no rubber bands or another other appliances. Just metal braces with wire.

Yeah, I see changes in my profile shortly after 2 weeks and was panicky. I think the pressure in the upper row of teeth (from the braces) was constantly causing pressure on the zygomatic bone (side of cheekbone) which result in the shape edges of cheekbone. I didn't realize that until much later. No idea why braces had that effect on me. The ordontonist didn't quite believe it, but I could definitely see definite changes in my front and side profile.

Lovespain5

#6 Post by Lovespain5 »

Strange... Or maybe that's an effect of the cheek muscles under the pressure caused by the braces...

BettyWhyte

#7 Post by BettyWhyte »

I'm glad someone asked this question. I was beginning to wonder about my face shape. It seems thinner at the bottom and I haven't lost much weight since getting my braces 4 weeks ago

Romane71193

#8 Post by Romane71193 »

Just keep em it may be worth it