Your thoughts

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iob

Re: Your thoughts

#16 Post by iob »

Hey Danny - I hear you...it always seemed to me that I saw a lot more women with braces than men, and I'll admit it made me nervous because I was told that doing nothing was not a very smart option. But I did see some data (can't remember the article or study) that indicated that the gap was closing recently. Something along the lines of it being 2:1 maybe five years ago, and closer to 60:40 at the study date. Even that seems too high for guys just based on my highly scientific, walk-down-the-street observations.

I understand the gender discrepancy if the thought is that it's easier for women to pull off braces because society is so accustomed to women doing things to improve their appearance: dying their hair, makeup, face lifts, augmentations, botox...braces. We guys can be brutal if a buddy colors his hair or got some half-baked hair plugs.

Maybe I don't notice the guys because they either do Invisalign or nothing at all because of self-consciousness. Whatever the reason, I definitely feel in the minority out there day to day.

FWIW, I can tell you that when I had ceramics, after a couple of months I started caring and stressing about it a lot less. It's everyone's individual call to make, but based on your comments about being self-conscious about your teeth now, I doubt you'd regret the decision to get it fixed. I've known people that had pretty wonky teeth and initially thought they'd feel embarrassed but were smiling up a storm half way through treatment because their smile with braces still on was 100% better than their earlier smile even without braces. And when it's all done, they're never hiding their smile again.
Last edited by iob on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dannyc77

#17 Post by dannyc77 »

Good points iob, I suppose my teeth are so crooked and my mates teeth are generally in good nick (although not perfect), they would understand why they might need to be done. Although the fact that I am married with kids might make them think why bother? And I'm not convinced there is a definete functional reason for me doing this. Yes my lower front teeth are getting chipped and they also rub against the top of my mouth at times I think, and apparently leave marks on my tongue!, no dentist or ortho have predicted that I am going to have major problems in the future, they haven't guaranteed that I won't though either!

iob

#18 Post by iob »

I never worried about what my buddies/mates would say...and they were/have been totally mellow with the whole thing. Maybe a bit surprised at first, but then they immediately and totally get it. And like you, I'm married with kids. Wife was a big supporter for getting it taken care of. So, family? Check. Friends? Check. That only left new intros and business settings that worried me. Your business setting is the classroom, so half the students have either just wrapped up the same thing or are mid stream.

dannyc77

#19 Post by dannyc77 »

Thanks for your thoughts!

Been a while since posting but I have since met with the surgeon who would be involved if I went ahead. He thinks both jaws should be operated on as opposed to just the lower that I thought it would be. Also I have a wisdom tooth right in line with a nerve. Concerned about permanent numbness, I can't imagine what that would be like. Also I thought it would just be lower jaw which is a serious enough operation, so a bit freaked out by the thought of both jaws. Again they have said I could leave things as they are which makes me feel should I really put myself through this!

Anyway I thought I would post some photos of my teeth and tried to get some of my underbite which is a bit more tricky! Obviously very crooked but been told also need jaw op to sort out and would make my teeth look worse at first. Or maybe I should leave well alone!

iob

#20 Post by iob »

Hey danny - I don't know if you've already made a decision, but I know that I'd want at least a second or third opinion before signing off on double jaw surgery just to make sure that it was the only/best option. I'd also want to know what kind of result I could expect with no surgery as a Plan B. Could you get to 80% of the aesthetic result with a bite that's stable and at least as good as what you currently have (I'm assuming the bite is not terribly off if the ortho suggested that doing nothing is an option) without surgery? It sounds like the aesthetics of your smile are your biggest motivator.

dannyc77

#21 Post by dannyc77 »

Thanks for your reply iob and sorry for my lack of reply till now. I am seeing the orthodontics team at Eastman dental school in London in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I have met with my local dentist who I have seen for years who thinks I would b crazy to go for the orthognathic procedure. I got him to numb my bottom lip to see what it would be like. To be honest I wouldn't want to risk my lip having permanent numbness like I experienced for just a few hours , so I can't see me going through with jaw surgery: my age (40) makes it more likely that permanent numbness especially in lower jaw would happen, having seen the position of lower jaw nerve on my X Ray's

But I think I would like to go for something like you say iob which would be a compromise. I'll see what they say. Till then anyone want to make some honest comments about my teeth bite. I won't be offended! I now have other better photos too I can upload?

Thanks

Tyrantblade

#22 Post by Tyrantblade »

You should have consultations with orthodontists to get the specifics you are looking for.

Thats the very least you should do before you decide if you want to move forward or back out
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

waltzpeony

#23 Post by waltzpeony »

Hi Danny, your side profile looks good, doesn't look weak to me.
If your smile is not affecting you too greatly, I suggest that you forget about all the appointments that you have had and to live your life well without any further thoughts on being conscious of your smile or anything. Sometimes, it's just a nagging thought at the back of your head that is insistent on getting things changed. However, if you can get rid of the insistent thought, you notice that you can live just as well, if not better.

I kind of regret my decision to do braces because it changed my face shape and my teeth wasn't bad to begin with. I thought I could be happier with braces (with promise of straight teeth nice smile results and all) but it turns out that I couldn't deal with the face shape change (thinner & longer face) and the self consciousness that comes with wearing metal braces. Perhaps Invisalign would be a better choice?

I went into braces treatment with open eyes and to kill that insistent thought in my head, but I wasn't prepared to deal with the negative consequences. What I am saying is that mindset is what propels you do to certain things at certain point in time.

Good luck with what ever decision that you'll come to make!

Welshrarebit

#24 Post by Welshrarebit »

Hi Danny,

I too was offered jaw surgery as the route to an ideal, perfect solution - but with all the risks you mention. I spoke to my dentist and ortho and decided on a compromised solution, braces but no surgery. I know the result won't be as perfect but I only wanted to fix my goofy rabbit teeth, I wasn't really concerned about my overbite as it wasn't causing me any functional problems.

3 months in and I'm already so happy with the progress so far in straightening my teeth. I could have the braces off tomorrow and I'd be happy!

Your teeth are definitely crooked but I think your profile looks fine as it is, so correct the issue that bothers you most and leave the jaw alone, is my humble opinion.

lmk

#25 Post by lmk »

I agree with the above comment, I honestly don't see anything wrong with your chin or profile from looking at your pictures.

dannyc77

#26 Post by dannyc77 »

Thanks guys v much for your replies and sorry for my lack of response till now. It was a pleasant surprise to see the replies I've only just realised there were some comments posted here.

So currently I've been back to the orthodontists. They are aware of my concerns about numbness after jaw surgery and have suggested a compromise which they saw would "camouflage" the bite. I think its Metal train tracks on top at first , and then on bottom. 2 miniscrews and chains (I think) on bottom teeth at the front, to pull the teeth down that are out of line. I think they are saying around 2 years for treatment. Possibly extracting one tooth on the bottom which I'm not massively keen on.

The treatment would be free but this means no ceramic braces. If surgery was really needed this could be again presented as an option during treatment, and they have assured me that any treatment will definitely improve things rather than make things worse. However I have heard in the past from other orthos that without going full on with treatment combined with jaw surgery, it might be better to leave alone. I feel like I trust what I'm being told by the current orthodontists I've seen recently, particularly as I am not paying for treatment. I've even asked them if I'm a "guinea pig" in terms of their suggested treatment and they have assured me I'm not on this too!

I've started to tell people about what I'm thinking of having done. Mostly the response is "why bother? Your bottom teeth are hidden anyway" or "Are your teeth bad? I hadnt noticed", I think the vibe is generally why put yourself through this? So anyway I'm still not sure if I want to go through with it, the time to treat, work issues and just feel a bit like I'm being vain. However I do need this nagging feeling that has affected my confidence to go away! A few of my mates are already warning that they will definitely laugh when they first see me, fair enough if I can put a smile on someones face!

Also my wife is having a baby next week (probably!) and then the braces appointment is 1 week after that if I do it, great timing!
I'm going to be a bit busy! Wont get any sympathy if im in pain understandably!

dannyc77

#27 Post by dannyc77 »

Anyone out there people! :)

SingleJawMelb

#28 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Annoyed the NHS is doing your teeth haha

shortcircuit

#29 Post by shortcircuit »

My 2 cents.....I think your profile looks fine and you've got that "rugged chin" going on that people wind up having to do genios for, so I would spend zero time worrying about that.

If you can get it done without surgery then I would go that route, as long as they can get you a good result that is stable and won't have you back in the chair again after a few years. My position is that people who are going to judge you for having braces will find something else to judge you on anyway if they don't have that, so they can go pound sand, especially if they are strangers you don't even know.

I wouldn't even tell anyone outside of your closest circle, it's really none of their business anyway and if they react negatively, it will make you doubt your own thinking. If you feel that this needs to be done to make an improvement in your life, then jump in with both feet and don't look back.

SingleJawMelb

#30 Post by SingleJawMelb »

iob wrote:Hey danny - I don't know if you've already made a decision, but I know that I'd want at least a second or third opinion before signing off on double jaw surgery just to make sure that it was the only/best option. I'd also want to know what kind of result I could expect with no surgery as a Plan B. Could you get to 80% of the aesthetic result with a bite that's stable and at least as good as what you currently have (I'm assuming the bite is not terribly off if the ortho suggested that doing nothing is an option) without surgery? It sounds like the aesthetics of your smile are your biggest motivator.
THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. the NHS there is no second or third opinion. You get no choice in surgeon and someone less qualified may do surgery. My experience of NHS was double jaw without braces. In Aus I got braces and single jaw.