How often do you need to go in for unscheduled repairs?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Roxxm

How often do you need to go in for unscheduled repairs?

#1 Post by Roxxm »

Just curious if anyone else needs to call up their ortho weekly to go in and have brackets replaced/ wires reattached. It's always something popping out that I need to go in for, unless I stick to a strictly liquid diet which my ortho says I shouldn't have to. The funny thing is my ortho was telling me with the Damon system I'd only be in every 2 or 3 months for adjustments. Maybe if the regular appointments weren't spaced so far apart I would have to be in weekly for so many fixes? I do have missing teeth on both sides, which is where the wire usually breaks off. Really though, it's getting kind of ridiculous :roll:

oldfart

Re: How often do you need to go in for unscheduled repairs?

#2 Post by oldfart »

Four to five times a year.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

angelina

#3 Post by angelina »

Once so far in 11 months. I have self litigating like the Damons, and eat a lot of crunchy/hard things

27braces88

#4 Post by 27braces88 »

I popped off two brackets, one of them twice and I've had my Damon braces 11 months. I haven't had to go in for anything else though.

Beckett

#5 Post by Beckett »

The only thing I've personally had to go back in for was to trim a wire a few days after an adjustment. And it's almost always after each adjustment. The one bracket that popped off was when the tech was fitting it with a power chain for the first time. Of the three of my kids who have gone through treatment, two had to go in for a loose bracket, but only once each. No one ever broke a wire or anything else weird. Youngest had to go back to remove a wire tie and replace it with a bumper tie because it was poking his lip and we had no grip for wax.

I'm lucky, one day a week I'm taking a kid downtown and I go right past my ortho office. So if I need a trim I can easily stop in and they take care of me pretty quick. I try and make appointments on Thursdays because if things move quick I inevitably need a wire trim and if my appointment was Friday I have to be miserable until Monday. Learned that pretty fast with kid #1.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

MissEvaH

#6 Post by MissEvaH »

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, but I've only had to go in for a repair once and I'm six months in.

verso

#7 Post by verso »

Oh man! My first time in braces when I was 14-17, I *never* had to go in for repairs. No broken brackets or wires or anything. Not sure how that's even possible, as I ate anything and everything, but I would have remembered a broken bracket or wire. I *do* remember a wire breaking on my sister's braces and it went into her gums, so she freaked out because it hurt.

I'm praying that I can go two-for-two and not have any mishaps this second time in braces.

Nozzelnut

#8 Post by Nozzelnut »

Probably about 1x every 6 months overall; but it's usually within a week of my latest adjustment. Usually broken or moving/shifting wires.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

sandiego88

#9 Post by sandiego88 »

I have Damons and I've had to go in 3 times in the last nine months. Twice for a wire trim and once for lighter rubber bands.

anacsilva

#10 Post by anacsilva »

I only went once in six months :) detached bracket.
Ana, the (probably) most paranoid and obsessed human being on this Earth. Big mistake, putting something on my teeth for years while I can freely obsess over it :P

Top braces (front and left side): February 21st, 2016
Top braces (full): ...... it was supposed to be a month later
Bottom braces: probably never, at this speed!

akent597

#11 Post by akent597 »

I'm new to the board and trying to decide between ceramic or metal braces. Have folks noticed a difference in emergency appointments between the two bracket types?

Nozzelnut

#12 Post by Nozzelnut »

akent597 wrote:I'm new to the board and trying to decide between ceramic or metal braces. Have folks noticed a difference in emergency appointments between the two bracket types?
I have ceramics on top and stainless on the bottom. No difference for me. Looking back I'd go with all stainless. The ortho can be a little more aggressive in treatment with stainless. After the first 2 weeks you won't be as self conscious about them and no one else cares about your teeth.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

traintracks92

#13 Post by traintracks92 »

In the last 10 months, I've gone in for broken brackets twice! Both occurrences happened within a week of each other and after an adjustment. They put brackets on bottom molars and my top molar was hitting the bottom bracket on one side. They fixed it on the third try and haven't broken that bracket since!

Tyrantblade

#14 Post by Tyrantblade »

I've only went in to get a bracket put back on once and a sharp wire end cut off once or twice, and I've had braces for just over a year.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

Jupiterxo

#15 Post by Jupiterxo »

I only had to go in once to reattach two brackets and that wasn't even my fault but the fault of my oral surgeon who needed to remove them while I was getting my wisdom teeth taken out. I guess I've been pretty lucky so far!