Going in for braces tomorrow and starting to worry :-(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dolfan

Going in for braces tomorrow and starting to worry :-(

#1 Post by Dolfan »

Hi,

I had my cleaning and spacers put in last week and will be going to get braces on the top and bottom tomorrow morning, but I'm starting to really worry :-(

I found this forum a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking on and off since then. Seems like a lot of great advice and good people in here, so I thought I'd register and see if you guys couldn't calm my fears a little bit ;-)

What I'm worried about is this: When I first went in to talk to the ortho about braces (about a year ago) he told me that it was kind of 50-50 weather I would need extractions first or not. He left it up to me. He said that if I was still a teenager (I'm 31) that I could definitely get away without having to have them because your jaw is more pliable at that age, but at my age, the jaw might not move enough to make room for all of the teeth and that I may need an extraction or two.

Now I'm worried that 1/2 way into the process he is going to tell me that I need extraction(s) and I am going to be forced into it or risk wasting all of the time/effort/pain of braces for a year+ and not have my teeth look any better :-(

I don't think I have much of a bite problem. Just a lot of crowding on the bottom up front and a little crowding on top and some teeth on top aren't exactly straight. Overall, my teeth probably aren't too terrible as they are.

I guess I'm locked into this at this point.

Wish me luck guys!!

Oh yeah, a post or two telling me that I probably won't need extractions wouldn't hurt either ;-)

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

Welcome to the board, Dolfan! This is a great group of people. You'll get a lot of good advice and encouragement here.

I can't tell you you won't need extractions. I can tell you that I was in the same boat as you last year at this time. My ortho was 50/50 about upper premolar extractions. He tried to make the necessary corrections until August of this year when it became obvious that there wasn't going to be enough room to correct my overjet without extractions. I hated losing 2 perfect teeth, but I wanted the best result I could get (which I already know won't be 100%). Extractions really are no big deal. They didn't bother me a bit. Putting the archwire back on after the extractions was another story, but just like everyone on this board, I survived.

You'll be fine. Just concentrate on achieving a super end result. Good luck!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

hannah164

#3 Post by hannah164 »

HI Dolfan!
Congratulations on making the decision to get braces! Thats the hardest part!

I'll be honest I don't know that you won't need extractions but I know quite a few people who's orthos told them that they needed them and then they didn't actually have them. I had six teeth pulled at once and it really wasn't that bad.

Just remember to bring lip balm and advil tommorrow, you will be sore, and eat all the hard chewy crunchy sugary foods you can today.

Good luck tommorrow! You'll do great!

-Hannah

- :frogbraces:

decisionmade

#4 Post by decisionmade »

Good luck dolfan!! I had my braces 12 days and am doing well..Its the first 2 days that are the hardest..for me anyway...
I had expansion surgery to make room on the top but had an extraction on the bottom..which was no big deal..actually it was the most painless of all i have been through..cleaning and fillings included..believe it or not..anyway good luck and keep us posted!!
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

R-A-M-O-N-E-S

#5 Post by R-A-M-O-N-E-S »

I got mine top and bottom Sept-28
The first week was hard but I was fine after that.
Braced Sept-27-05

jay.tee.

#6 Post by jay.tee. »

dont worry, you'll be fine. i got mine on sept 28th too...to be honest with you, mine didn't not hurt at all!...only when i pushed my teeth with my tongue intentionally. but, other than that, i was A-Ok. i ate the norm stuff, but i was more cautious, i case i bit off my lower braces...hehe.

gracie381

#7 Post by gracie381 »

I will also be getting my braces put on tomorrow! I have been eating everything in sight today. I had the metal spacers a couple of weeks ago, and I had to have 4 pre-molars extracted last Tuesday. The metal spacers hurt really bad, but the extractions weren't bad at all. I didn't want to lose any teeth, but I also didn't want to have surgery to try & widen my arch. That was the only other option I had besides the extractions. I went with the extractions, considering I'm a big baby and the thought of surgery scared me. I'm 26 and put off getting braces for many years because I was scared of the pain. I am now taking the plunge. So together we will be going through the tough times together. Everyone on here has been so supportive and it's been great. Just be positive and maybe you want have to have any extractions. Everyone's treatment is different, but whatever happens just think about the positive outcome of your treatment (A beautiful smile)! Best of luck!! :D
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

Dolfan

#8 Post by Dolfan »

Thanks for all of the responses and support so far!!!

I'll definitely keep you all updated.

I just really hope I don't end up needing extractions. I keep picturing a string tied to my tooth and the other end to a door and the door slamming shut!! I'm sure they don't do it like that nowadays, but I still can't get that mental image out of my head...

gracie381

#9 Post by gracie381 »

Maybe you want have to have extractions. Just wanted to tell you though that now they can put you completely out. I didn't know a thing had happened till I woke up and it was all over. They took out 4 and it was over in about 20 minutes. I was a little sore, but nothing major. Best of luck on everything!!
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

true_jaat

#10 Post by true_jaat »

I keep picturing a string tied to my tooth and the other end to a door and the door slamming shut!! I'm sure they don't do it like that nowadays,
They dont? I must have gone to the wrong dentist then. :)
The future depends on what we do in the present.

Bracefacegirl

#11 Post by Bracefacegirl »

The same thing happened to me, but i'm 13. I had to get 2 extractions the 2 top front bicuspids, about 2 weeks ago. I went to the orthodontist this monday. He adjusted them, and the one hole is closing up.
If your worrying about the extractions hurting, i was crying before i went into the room and i didnt even feel a thing. The only thing that barely hurt was the needle.
I love GERARD WAY from My Chemical Romance!! He is so hott!!
MY DREAM HUSBAND!

Keep it rad and ROCK ON!!