Tylenol Junkie!! Anyone??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jenns91civic

#16 Post by jenns91civic »

I almost said the aspirin question is easy...then I reread it. You should never crush or chew coated medications. They are designed to be swallowed whole so they are absorbed later in the GI tract rather than in the stomach.

The Tylenol thing is interesting. It could be the flavors used. Actually now that I think about it.....I bet it is the flavoring since chewable asa bothers you too. Figuring out which flavors (or colors I guess) is the hard part.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

SW

#17 Post by SW »

jenns91civic wrote:I almost said the aspirin question is easy...then I reread it. You should never crush or chew coated medications. They are designed to be swallowed whole so they are absorbed later in the GI tract rather than in the stomach.
You're right, unfortunately though I am one of those people who can't swallow pills. I used to chew the regular size aspirin (325 mg?) but the amount was too strong for me, and I haven't noticed an 81 mg. uncoated type, except the chewables, so I am kind of stuck. But it is important to note that many coated medications are designed for time-release and it can cause problems if they are chewed/crushed. I have been put in this postition of having to crush them anyway (with my doctor's knowledge), (and hopefully can get past the bitter taste) since the pharmaceutical industry does not make every medication in a chewable or liquid form. It can be very fustrating for me to take medication, I usually avoid it unless absolutely necessary.
STEPHANIE

*hotslinthesun*

#18 Post by *hotslinthesun* »

ok, the pharmacist in me just has to reply.

As far as using Tylenol for pain for two weeks or more, the people who posted about switching it up are absolutely right. When you use one type of pain medication too much, you can develop a sort of dependency on it and when you try to stop using it, you will develop symptoms from not having it in your body such as the rebound headaches already mentioned. Therefore try switching to Ibuprofen or something else and try to wean yourself off. If none of the OTC medications are relieving your pain, then see your doctor about getting a prescription pain medication.

As far as generic and brand name drugs go, they are both the exact same drug. When a new drug is developed, the company gets a patent and is the only company who can manufacture and sell the drug. The cost of brand name drugs is more expensive because the company is trying to make back some of the money it costs to develop the drug, which is alot. Once the patent runs out, it is fair game and other companies are free to manufacture the drug at lower costs, since they don't have any costs associated with drug development. But by law they are exactly the same. The fact that some people find the brand name drug to work better than the generic is due to the placebo effect, which is a physiological reaction to the perceived difference in quality.

SW, you might want to try crushing up the pills and adding them to applesauce or icecream. Just make sure to use a small amount so that you'll be able to eat it all and get the entire dose of medication.

Meryaten, where do you live? Most health care systems account for allergies to some of the excipients (the non-drug components) in medications and coverage. If the situation arises, your physician can fill out a form requesting coverage due to allergies, and can write a prescription for "No substitution".
Full ceramic braces 08/10/2005

SW

#19 Post by SW »

*hotslinthesun* wrote:
SW, you might want to try crushing up the pills and adding them to applesauce or icecream. Just make sure to use a small amount so that you'll be able to eat it all and get the entire dose of medication.
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I have never had much luck trying that approach with most pills due to their extremely bitter taste. Aspirin is bitter, but it is kind of a "natural" kind of bitter, (sort of like coffee or olives... I know that sounds strange, but I can't think of any other way to describe it...) so I don't mind chewing that, but Holy Smokes stuff like Tylenol is so bitter (in a chemical kind of way) that it triggers the gag reflex, which often makes it impossible to swallow it and food won't mask it. I remember trying to chew one years ago before the liquid was available OTC, and I won't make that mistake again! I brushed my teeth like 10 times and then ate a bunch of hard candy and could still taste it. I can still taste it in the liquid formula, even through the heavy sugary grape or cherry syrup. I think the only two pills besides aspirin that I could ever successfully chew or mix with food were ketoprofen and vancomycin (sp?).
STEPHANIE

*hotslinthesun*

#20 Post by *hotslinthesun* »

oh my goodness SW, I feel for you. I couldn't imagine having to chew some of the medications that are out there.

It's really good to get a description like that from you since we often learn about masking the taste of drugs with respect to children, who aren't able to express themselves as well as you. We are taught that ice cream is good since it numbs the tongue therefore you can't taste as much. We also suggest crushing the tablet and eating it with something sour such as salt and vinegar chips since it tends to trick the tastebuds. However unless I actually try doing it myself, it's very hard to tell if these methods actually work. The only other thing is to try swallowing the tablet by using a straw to suck the liquid.

I hope you stay healthy so you can avoid having to take too many medications :D
Full ceramic braces 08/10/2005