Ouch! TMJ is back...13 days only!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

elly123

Ouch! TMJ is back...13 days only!

#1 Post by elly123 »

Hi everyone. I posted the other day about whether or not to get clear etc..and again..thanks for your responses. I really hope I'm not being a bother by posting again and I wont make this a habit but I've run into a problem and I was wondering what you all thought before I see my doc tomorrow.

I used to have TMJ and was released from my TMJ doctor this summer. I had physical therarpy and an appliance for at night. I was feeling 100% better until a few days ago! Now I have horrible pain when I bite on the same trouble side again and the worst stiff neck on the same side. The problem? I'm scheduled for braces in 13 days and spacers on tuesday and my doctor (TMJ) said a while ago that he wanted me to have no problems with my jaw going into my braces. I made an appointment to see my doc tomorrow but here's the question: Do you think I will still be able to get my braces on time?? Another: Is there any way he can treat this again WHILE i have my braces?

I'll be so dissapointed..I've been waiting for braces for 4 years :(

Thanks again.
elly :-((

fearthetenor

#2 Post by fearthetenor »

Elly, I'm sorry to hear about that.

I'm not entirely sure whether or not you will be able to get your braces put on or not. It's pretty much what your TMJ doc feels is best for you. I just found out in March that I've had TMJ for as long as anyone can remember. My orthodontist refused to admit that my popping and locking jaw was anything. When I finally [accidentally] walked into a door and dislocated my jaw and it locked out, and my ortho said that it was my problem, my dentist (who was livid with my ortho at this point) got fed (with my ortho) up and sent me to an oral surgeon who diagnosed it. By that point, I'd already had braces for a year and a half, so I'm not too sure that I can be of any assistance to you on this matter.

I hope things go well with you! Good luck!
top braces: Jan 30, 2004
bottom braces: Apr 23, 2004
metal top & bottom

originally sentenced to 24 months
sentence extended to 36 months (minimum)!!!
tmj splint= 6 additional months (they're keeping the braces on)

Fireangel

TMJ

#3 Post by Fireangel »

Hi, Sorry to hear that you have TMJ too! I dont have severe TMJ but I see a chiropractor for my jaw problems. About 10 years ago my pony and I had a bad fall and that knocked my jaw out of whack. Anyway after about 2 months of having bells palsy at 13 yrs old. (Sucked going to school) I found this chiropractor that fixed my jaw. So when I was thinking of getting braces I made sure it was okay with the chiro and he said he could fix whatever happened. So I say good luck with your appointment and hopefully it wont stop you from being braced.

SuzyCentri

#4 Post by SuzyCentri »

I know that every case is different, and ever doctor has a different opinion, and every mouth is different....all that. So I'm just sharing my situation. Hope it helps.

My ortho put braces on my teeth to help alleviate TMJ pain.

Good luck.
Upper ceramics on 6/21/05 (on, off, on)
Lower metals on 7/23/05
-
Suzy
3 teenagers, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 goats, 3 chickens, 1 guinea, and 3 guinea pigs...
what more could a girl want???

elly123

#5 Post by elly123 »

Thanks everyone! I just went to my doc and he said I'm clear for braces and that what I have now is most likely unrelated to the TMJ I had last year. He says it could be a number of things causing it: school stress (he says that honors classes will do that to you) or even my extractions that I had done last week. He said to take advil 2 times a day and as long as I feel better in a few days I am all clear for braces!

Thank goodness!

Thank you for your responses everyone : )

I most likely won't be posting until my braces go on in a few days! :dance: