Teeth barely moved in 5 months since braces put on

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DecemberRain

Teeth barely moved in 5 months since braces put on

#1 Post by DecemberRain »

I got my top braces put on in August 2015 and within weeks they moved dramatically. Practically straight within 3 months - and my two front teeth were crooked, twisted and protruding quite badly. However my bottom teeth are proving difficult. I got my braces put on on the 26 January and since then I've had them tightened twice. Yet the changes are minimal, if any, and it's now June. What's even weirder is they haven't hurt. My top teeth KILLED for a solid 3 weeks after they were first put on - I couldn't even eat bread they were that sore and pressure sensitive but my bottom teeth didn't even hurt the day I got the braces on so I feel like that's an indicator that they're literally not moving and the braces either aren't tight enough or, I don't know, I have stubborn bottom teeth or something (?!)

I did tell my orthodontist on my most recent tightening which was May 11th that I hadn't noticed any movement at all since I first got them put on but she didn't say anything and I was in the chair with her behind me when I mentioned it so I couldn't see her face to gauge her reaction so I have no idea if this is normal or not. And they still haven't moved since my last appointment even though she put a thicker wire in this time.

Is this normal? To go 5 months from first fitting without any changes at all? I could understand if this was toward the end of my treatment where it was just minor adjustments being made, but my bottom teeth have literally not moved from the minute the braces were put on, nor through any of the tightenings in almost 5 months.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

chrislee

Re: Teeth barely moved in 5 months since braces put on

#2 Post by chrislee »

If you're still feeling pressure between appointments, I think you'll be fine

cutepathogen

#3 Post by cutepathogen »

My canines took 3 years to move, and the right side canines have still not moved completely to the intended place. My ortho said it was unusual and he has never seen a case like mine but it wasn't unheard of. I still have a very small gap next to my right canine and he decided to proceed with the surgery regardless. Scheduled for surgery in 9 weeks from today.

HTH.

SingleJawMelb

#4 Post by SingleJawMelb »

How bad were your bottom teeth and did you have any extracted?