When should one stop smoking before surgery to avoid complications?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cutepathogen

When should one stop smoking before surgery to avoid complications?

#1 Post by cutepathogen »

I smoke hookah daily. I noticed that my healing in small cuts and wounds became noticeably poorer after I started smoking a couple of years ago.

My surgery is scheduled for Dec. 15 and I'm planning to completely stop smoking at least for some period before and after the surgery.

Any scientific recommendations as to how long I should stop smoking before and after surgery?

Beckett

Re: When should one stop smoking before surgery to avoid complications?

#2 Post by Beckett »

Not scientific but as soon as possible is best. And don't pick it up again after. Why? Because smoking is bad for you. But you already know that. You've seen for yourself that you heal slower when you're smoking. What more scientific proof do you need?
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

djspeece

Re: When should one stop smoking before surgery to avoid complications?

#3 Post by djspeece »

I don't have the scientific data behind this, and I understand your concern. I think your orthodontist would recommend that you not smoke post op for the reasons you alluded to. Of course the nicotine is a powerful vasoconstrictor which dramatically decreases blood flow throughout your body; obviously this is not ideal for a fresh surgical wound since the healing process, especially for a jaw repair. There are concerns about delayed healing and the increased chance for infection, and increased pain. At a minimum you should probably not smoke for 4-6 weeks post op to allow for this healing. You probably are aware that the vasoconstriction may also hinder the remodeling process that allows our teeth to move with orthodontics, so there would seem to be a long-term benefit from stopping.
As far as pre-op goes, my understanding is that your body clears the toxins and other chemicals associated with smoking in about 72 hours.

It should go without saying that you should speak frankly with your doctors about smoking. Of course there are other issues to consider such as your age, sex, comorbidities , obesity, medications you are currently taking, family history, and so forth. Most of them will give you the facts and you'll decide how you want to go. I smoked cigarettes many years ago; it was a wonderful habit in many ways, in ways that non-smokers don't understand. But what I realized was that it would impact my appearance eventually, and that it turned off a lot of women -- and I could not afford to limit my pool :-+ ! It is tough to stop, no doubt about it. Consider speaking with your physician on ways to stop (perhaps get a prescription for meds). This might also be a good time to start to exercise, if you don't already, which I found to be a tremendous help in quitting. Please don't consider this response a lecture -- it isn't -- and best of luck to you in any event!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying