When does movement start???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carly58

When does movement start???

#1 Post by Carly58 »

I've had by braces for 2 weeks and 2 days. I was wondering when do you start seeing movement? I keep checking and nothing so far. :Questions:

Just curious !

Class II Overbite
Full Braces 9/28/05

shinyam

#2 Post by shinyam »

It can takes months, or sometimes even years before you seen any movement. Be patient.

I have hada ZERO movement for a full 12 months now. I just had rectangular wires inserted six weeks ago, and still have not seen any movment.

Everyone varies. But since you just got your braces on, you should see a lot of movement after two months.

decisionmade

#3 Post by decisionmade »

Hi Carly! I've had mine for 2weeks and one day..and have seen subtle movement. Are you taking pictures? I take one every week..It is the best way to see changes that you just can't see when its happening so slowly...sometimes more telling than seeing the changes is feeling the changes..like bite changes and sensitivity/soreness..all indicators that something is happening..my ortho aid I will be seeing dramatic changes in the coming weeks..I am excited..don't give up hiope..it is very early yet but make sure to take photos:)
DM
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

caringiscreepy

#4 Post by caringiscreepy »

It really depends, my top teeth straightened out in just a month which I was amazed by but my bottom ones don't seem to have improved at all in that time.
The best idea is to take pictures, you might not notice any movement just looking at your teeth in the mirror but if you look at pictures you'll really see the changes.

Braces on: 13th July 2005
Estimated Treatment Time: 18 months

tofino

The big picture

#5 Post by tofino »

Hi.

I started with some of the scariest teeth out there :shock:
www.karlrove.ca/dental/nightbefore.jpg (*Big file, ugly.)

Here is the day of my 3rd adjustment:
www.karlrove.ca/dental/3rdadjust.jpg

My fourth monthly adjustment was a few days ago and I am, as they say in Quebec, 'Over the moon' with satisfaction. My family and friends back in Manitoba are in for a shock at Christmas.

Decisionmade is bang on: take lots of photos from different angles and after a few months you may stop and say, "Wow, it's happening". What a great feeling that is.

I wish that orthodontics were covered by all insurance carriers - my heart goes out to those who desperately want braces for themselves or their kids, but cannot currently afford them. I waited 25 years for mine.

As always, Cheers and best of luck to everybody with your treatment and visible progress.

Glen

TheSilverSmileChileno

#6 Post by TheSilverSmileChileno »

movement for me was pretty fast

its been 2 months already and my movement is awesome, ill try to put some pictures today!!
Spacers-7-27-05
Full Braces on-8-15-05
I luv my braces...

Carly58

#7 Post by Carly58 »

Hey thanks for your comments.

I tried taking pictures, but they just come out blurry. Maybe I don't have a good enough camera. It's a digital. I can't use the flash because it's way too bright and if I get to close it's blurry. Farther away you can't see enough. What type do you use?

My upper arch is going to actually move up and out a little. My 4 upper incisors are pushed in and back slightly and hang down over the lower teeth. I think what they need to do is called "relative intrusion". My teeth are a little crooked, especially on the lowers, but not much. Then I will have surgery around 1 year of braces to move the lower jaw forward.

Maybe everyone's amount of movement is different.

Class II Overbite
Full Braces 9/28/05

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

Carly58 wrote:Hey thanks for your comments.

I tried taking pictures, but they just come out blurry. Maybe I don't have a good enough camera. It's a digital. I can't use the flash because it's way too bright and if I get to close it's blurry. Farther away you can't see enough. What type do you use?
Maybe everyone's amount of movement is different.
My camera is nothing special so I take the picture outside to get good lighting and I set the camera on MACRO. Then after I download it, I crop it to my teeth. I usually get most of my face in the picture but the crop tool takes care of editing ME out of the pix.

Good luck!

To answer the movement question: For me I had begun to notice movement at about 3 weeks. It was very obvious at 8 weeks.

Be patient. It WILL happen :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Carly58

#9 Post by Carly58 »

Thanks Jennielee,

OOOHHH That's how you do it. :idea: Cropping them...didn't even think of that. The camera is new to me, so this is all different.

I'll try it tonight.

Class II Overbite
Full Braces 9/28/05