How Long Is Too Long Between Adjustments?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ScatDatJazz

How Long Is Too Long Between Adjustments?

#1 Post by ScatDatJazz »

My last adjustment was on September 30th. My next one isn't until January 6th. Is that way too long? I typically try to them no longer than 8 weeks apart, but that's the best the office could do for me this time. After six months, my teeth are looking pretty good, so I don't want to slow up progress. Is there anything I can do (or not do) to keep things going well until January?

shinyam

#2 Post by shinyam »

Actually, that isn't too long. There must be a good reason behind it also.

I know that I have had two or three appointments where absolutely nothing was done, and so it would have been better if I had not gone at all.

shasha

#3 Post by shasha »

Hi everybody,

I am also new at this but, just to reply to "how long is too long? My adjustments have been every 4 weeks. Just had one today actually, and i go back in 5 weeks. I am not sure whats long, but like KK suggested find out from the ortho. :lol:

megan_in_pink

#4 Post by megan_in_pink »

mine are about 6-8 weeks apart

Echo

#5 Post by Echo »

My son and I go every 3 months, and I would hope our ortho knows what he is doing, he has been in practice practically forever, and always gets voted the best in town.
[/url]

jimmy18

#6 Post by jimmy18 »

My first two adjustments were five weeks apart, and they have me down the same for the third adjustment.

bracedmommy

#7 Post by bracedmommy »

I think that it depends on your treatment and your OD. I got my braces Aug. 9th, and just had my first adj. this past week (10/12). Right now it seems that I am going at 10 wk intervals which is fine with me. By the time I go for my second adj. I will be into my 5th month of being braced. :P I do have a feeling that as my treatment goes on the adjustments will get closer together. If you don't feel comfortable, I would call up your OD and just ask. It never hurts to ask.
[/url]

Juliet

#8 Post by Juliet »

My adjustments are every 4 weeks like clockwork. I thought everyone went that often so it's interesting to know this time can vary so much.

birkie63

#9 Post by birkie63 »

I think it also depends on the type of braces. My braces were put on in mid September and my 1st appointment is in early-mid December. At the same time I can call at any time with a concern and go in if needed (which I did when a wire was not in a bracket...was fixed in a jif and I kept on going!)

Vicki
in Wyoming

dkt3

#10 Post by dkt3 »

Im every four weeks at the moment (first four adjustments) but as of next adjustment it will be six weeks. And then varing times during the rest of my treatment. It just depends on your case.

redjunebug

#11 Post by redjunebug »

ive had my braces on since sept 13th ..and today is my 3rd adjustment... i go every 2 weeks right now and everytime ive gone i get new ligs and some new device...maybe because ive just started...does anyone else go this often?
Value ALL Families.

CelestialVoices

#12 Post by CelestialVoices »

I called my ortho and they said for summer vacation for example, they could adjust me before I went home and when I came back...and 3 months wouldn't be TOO long in between. This saves me from having to go to a different and local ortho up at home.

mtbrncofn

#13 Post by mtbrncofn »

Mine are every 6 weeks, with the one exception being a 4 week gap once.

Scat, don't they even change ligs in that whole time? They do lose their elasticity and it seems after that long they'd be about worthless.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

jennielee81

#14 Post by jennielee81 »

Mine are very 10-12 weeks. Last one was in late August, my next one is in mid November. :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

MadeIn1984

#15 Post by MadeIn1984 »

It's still a bit too early in my treatment to establish regular intervals, but my last 2 adjustments have both been 6 weeks apart, roughly.
Visit me on MySpace! :wink: