First day with braces not so lovely.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

S_Ranger

First day with braces not so lovely.

#1 Post by S_Ranger »

I got braces up on yesterday while I had 3 canker sores, 2 on the bottom lip and on the top lip. All in the fresh burning stage. I sucked it up. 2nd day and my teeth are so sensitive! Brushing my teeth is a pain because the toothpaste irritates my canker sores so bad it makes me not wanna brush my teeth. I feel kinda awkward with braces on. I guess I'm just not used to having all metal on my teeth. LOL, I keep looking in the mirror every 10 minutes though to see results and to perfect the way I smile so it doesn't look too goofy.

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

Congrats on starting your journey. The first few days will be the worst and then you'll forget you have a mouth full of metal. You might try warm salt water rinses to help with the canker sores. I know there are other remedies, but I can't remember them right now. Oh, I think one my ortho recommended was a product call Rincinol (sp?). Good luck!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

gracie381

#3 Post by gracie381 »

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I got my braces last Thursday and I'm doing pretty well now. I have a wire poking just a little and a couple of places that rub when I talk and eat, so I've been using wax, especially when I'm at work. The first couple of days were the roughest, but I've been doing warm salt water rinses, and using Colgate Peroxyl (it works wonders). Anway I am starting to eat more normally again, except my molar band is hitting my bottom bracket, but it doesn't hurt so that's a plus. The only time I feel pain now is when I floss between my bottom teeth. They are so tight. Don't worry it will get better. Each day gets easier and easier. Hang in there!
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

JeepGirl

#4 Post by JeepGirl »

Hang in there...it will get better. The beginning is definitely the hardest part. Trust me when I say, we ALL feel your pain! :cry:

After seeing all of the movement in the last two months since I got braces I can say it is definitely worth doing. For the first time in my life I have STRAIGHT teeth. :lol:

You'll forget about these first few days once you start seeing movement! Promise!

Good luck!

S_Ranger

#5 Post by S_Ranger »

Alright, the canker sore pain is fading away slowly, but surely. But before that goes you know something else has to happen. Now I get a sore throat! I think I just got bad timing with braces or something lol. Anyway, I'm gonna post pics tommorow so get ready for those.

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

I had a bad cold the first two days of my braces. It's clearing now, though my throat is still scratchy.

Because of that I couldn't tell if my aching head was the cold or braces or both. So I just took paracetamol and hated the world ;)