Staining of ligatures and powerchain ANNOYED

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jfriend33

Staining of ligatures and powerchain ANNOYED

#1 Post by jfriend33 »

I remember the first time I had braces 20 years ago, I used a hemostat clamp to reattach a ligature that had slipped.

I have seen them put on my power chain many times and it appears to be even easier than regular ligatures. Just have to be sure theres a clean cut on the end or it can cause cheek irritation.

ANYWAY I am getting very fed up with 6 and 7 week appointments. I ate some thai yellow curry for dinner last night and my turquoise powerchain looks horrible and almost green. I do not drink coffee or smoke.

I am highly considering ordering some high quality power chain off of ebay and just replacing it all myself. Then if I run into problems just go to the office.

I have had issues with Red powerchain fading. But never anything this bad.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone ever replaced their powerchain on their own? I really dont think it is that difficult and I don't think they would even notice. I am going on a trip soon and want my teeth to look their best. Any advice would be great.

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: Staining of ligatures and powerchain ANNOYED

#2 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Yep. It's a piece of cake, even working in reverse in the mirror.

Fortunately for me, my ortho gave me a "stick" of ligatures in case I really needed to change out some badly stained ones. I was worried about professional interactions with yellow or green ligs. It was easy, so I asked for a new stick or ring a couple of times and am willing to change even mildly stained ones in between long appointment gaps and after "adventure eating." I doubt many orthos would be as accommodating, though. It must have been my bawling and the fact that I said I wouldn't unbarricade the door until they handed them over.

I was pretty sure that they wouldn't hand out power chains but, yes, I picked some up online for the same reason. I wouldn't say a chain is easier, but it's still pretty quick. Have only done it once. Just make sure you get high quality ones from your ortho, or legit manufacturer ones that are the same material and strength as your ortho's.

I suspect I'll get tsk-tsk'ed or trolled by someone for doing it, but my ortho (kinda) approved at least the first part. If you do go rogue and get caught by your ortho, however, you didn't hear about it from me!

jfriend33

#3 Post by jfriend33 »

how do I know if I have long, medium, or short?

SinkFullOfDinner

#4 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

That's a really important question! I just looked at the label on the spool of powerchain that they used. I guess you could ask "out of curiousity." I believe the categories are continuous, short, and long. Continuous is easy to determine. Just a bunch of connected circles ( OOOO ) with no space between. I'm not sure I could tell short from long unless they were side by side.

jfriend33

#5 Post by jfriend33 »

SinkFullOfDinner wrote:That's a really important question! I just looked at the label on the spool of powerchain that they used. I guess you could ask "out of curiousity." I believe the categories are continuous, short, and long. Continuous is easy to determine. Just a bunch of connected circles ( OOOO ) with no space between. I'm not sure I could tell short from long unless they were side by side.
Yep and as usual one of my power chains broke by where a rubberband hits. Its still halfway attached. I guess I will just order all 3 and see what works best....sigh....I think mine are continuous just from looking at the spools at the office previously.

The staining has improved with vigorous brushing luckily. But still not perfect. And irritated about 7 weeks between appts.

SinkFullOfDinner

#6 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

jfriend33 wrote:irritated about 7 weeks between appts.
I totally understand the 7-week frustration. I'm right in the middle of a 7-wk gap between appts and will be changing out the front ones on top in the next day or so. There's no way I can make it that long without them looking absolutely frightening, and my ortho is too far away for it to make sense to visit just for a refresh.

Caitrm

#7 Post by Caitrm »

I have smoke coloured ones and barely notice them. They don't stain either.

Braces47

#8 Post by Braces47 »

"I have smoke coloured ones and barely notice them. They don't stain either."

Caitrm, do you have metal or ceramic brackets? I'm getting braced next week and trying to determine what color I should request for my ligatures to prevent staining.

Caitrm

#9 Post by Caitrm »

Braces47 wrote:"I have smoke coloured ones and barely notice them. They don't stain either."

Caitrm, do you have metal or ceramic brackets? I'm getting braced next week and trying to determine what color I should request for my ligatures to prevent staining.
Sorry for the late reply! I just saw this. I have ceramics. Since I've written this I have noticed that they do stain a bit, but I only really notice if I take a good look at them. Still recommend the smoke colour!

BlondeCam

#10 Post by BlondeCam »

Ceramic uppers and chose grey/ smoke ligatures for rear of staining. They obviously match the wire and haven't stained.