Adult Tongue Thrusting

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

IdRatherBeRiding

Adult Tongue Thrusting

#1 Post by IdRatherBeRiding »

Hi guys. It's been a long while since I posted. I've been doing well with my braces and have been in elastics for about 2 months now. The large gap I have up top is closing remarkably fast and I'm please with my results.

I am, however, an adult tongue thruster :oops: . I don't thrust much during the day, but I am discovering just how bad I thrust while I sleep. I've been waking up each morning with my teeth clenched and my tongue thrust through the remaining gap of my overbite. It's actually quite painful and has caused me to develop groves on my tongue. Given how hard I'm thrusting, I'm surprised the gap is closing and the overbite is being reduced!

Does anyone else have this problem? And is there anything short of a tongue gate I can use to help prevent me from doing this?

Thanks!
Julia
Julia

littleshaddies

#2 Post by littleshaddies »

Funny that. I was just thinking this morning. I woke up twice last night with my teeth clenched. This made them feel a bit sore each time. But I have never clenched teeth before in my sleep so why now?
Not yet tongue trusting for me tho so I can't compare with you. I am only 5 weeks in the braces world so don't know what to expect next.
Hope you find good advice and if you do pass it on to me please. :D

Svensk Tiger

#3 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I am a tongue thruster too. I'm not sure if I do it in the night (although I do clench my jaw and that's agony) but I do it every time I swallow. I'm really worried that this will encourage relapse after my treatment is complete but have no idea how to stop it. If anyone has any hints/tips I would also be really grateful to hear them.

TessaLeoni

#4 Post by TessaLeoni »

Hi there,

I was a tongue thruster too (caused an open bite). I went to the speech therapist and had to do some specific exercises. Well - it helped and wasn't painful at all!

Good luck with your treatment, Tess
*B*Day: 2/7/2005
White Ceramics on Uppers and Lowers

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

You are looking at a professional night time teeth clencher turned tongue thruster. I do it all. I think if there is too much pain for clenching I resort to the next best thing, tongue thrusting. I can't wait to get my braces off so that I can go back to my wonderful nti device. It really helps the clenching. I think with that thing on, I thrust though too. This is why I will be wearing a retainer all the rest of my life.

BTW, I heard that the clenching and bruxism stuff starts to wind down after age 45. I sure hope it is true!

This whole clenching thing is what got me into this mess in the first place!

Qtgirl

#6 Post by Qtgirl »

Hello everyone. Should the tongue be on the roof of your mouth or behind your front teeth? I hopes this makes sense.

swan

#7 Post by swan »

Qtgirl wrote:Hello everyone. Should the tongue be on the roof of your mouth or behind your front teeth? I hopes this makes sense.
In it's relaxed state, it seems to sit just behind the lower front teeth, but it touches the roof of the mouth towards the back.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

Qtgirl

#8 Post by Qtgirl »

Thanks for that info swan. :D I have some retraining to do.