41 and just got braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Momto5boys

41 and just got braced

#1 Post by Momto5boys »

Hi all. I just turned 41 and got full metal braces 1 WK ago. My 11yr old also has braces and it weird to be going on this journey with him and knowing he will have them off before me..lol.
I have a major overjet (I sucked my thumb until I was 16, and crowding on the bottom). Anyone that has the same issue, when did you first start noticing a change? I know I'm only 1 WK in but I'm impatient. Also, one of my bottom teeth has a bracket but the wire isn't attached (I'm assuming because its farther back and there needs to be room to come forward), but it looks like the space has gotten smaller where the tooth needs to go if that makes any sense.

bracesat41

Re: 41 and just got braced

#2 Post by bracesat41 »

Momto5boys wrote:Hi all. I just turned 41 and got full metal braces 1 WK ago. My 11yr old also has braces and it weird to be going on this journey with him and knowing he will have them off before me..lol.
I have a major overjet (I sucked my thumb until I was 16, and crowding on the bottom). Anyone that has the same issue, when did you first start noticing a change? I know I'm only 1 WK in but I'm impatient. Also, one of my bottom teeth has a bracket but the wire isn't attached (I'm assuming because its farther back and there needs to be room to come forward), but it looks like the space has gotten smaller where the tooth needs to go if that makes any sense.
Hi Momto5boys! OMG! 5?! lol. I have 1 and that is enough. I'm 41 as well and have had my braces on for about 2 weeks. I don't have the same situation as you (I have impacted canines that I'm trying to bring down). I noticed my top front teeth closing up a bit the first couple of days, but that has slowed down now. I also have all of my back molars have a bracket but no wires are attached to them. I think because once those ones are on it makes things a lot tighter.. so maybe they do that to ease us into getting use to the pain?! LOL. Last night was the first night I didn't have to use wax on my brackets.
I go on Monday for a follow up to my surgery (to expose and bond a chain on to my canine teeth), and will see if they put the wire in the back brackets. I'll let you know.

katiedominique

#3 Post by katiedominique »

Hi! Welcome and congrats on starting your journey! I've also got an over jet but like you I am one week in so I can't help on how long it'll be to see change! Hopefully soon haha! Super cool how your doing this with your child big respect :) hopefully it makes it easier for both of you!

jaykulof82

#4 Post by jaykulof82 »

Hello:) congrats on your braces how are they going ? how do people like they? is your partner supportive because i need braces n little scared i am 36

Momto5boys

#5 Post by Momto5boys »

jaykulof82 wrote:Hello:) congrats on your braces how are they going ? how do people like they? is your partner supportive because i need braces n little scared i am 36

Its going good! I go for my 1st adjustment tomorrow so I'm a little nervous to see what my Ortho says. I've noticed a little improvement and my kids even mentioned today that my teeth look better :D
My husband is extremely supportive. He's even picking out the colors for my brackets...lol.