How much more did you have to pay for clear braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ravenclaw

How much more did you have to pay for clear braces?

#1 Post by Ravenclaw »

To those who have clear braces: how much more did you have to pay for clear braces? The orthodontist I will be working with charges $800.00 extra for clear braces. I haven't started treatment yet, but I've already agreed to get metal braces. I am, however, beginning to think it might be worth it to upgrade to clear braces. My insurance would pay for the standard cost. Any difference in price between metal and clear braces will be my responsibility. It would be nice to hear your experiences, so I could be in a better position to negotiate the price. Thanks.

claribeary

Re: How much more did you have to pay for clear braces?

#2 Post by claribeary »

I paid $500 more for the top arch to be ceramic. :) If you're only paying for the extra $800 i'd say go for it, it's really worth the more discreet look. As for me, I like the metal look as well so I got half and half. I enjoy them being more invisible in photos and such and don't regret my choice at all. Bear in mind that ceramic brackets are slightly bigger than metal ones but I feel like they don't irritate my gums as much.

Beckett

#3 Post by Beckett »

My orthodontist doesn't charge anything extra so I have ceramic top and bottom. Love them. As much as one can love small wired torture devices cemented to their teeth.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

JanineJanine

#4 Post by JanineJanine »

I had to pay an extra GB£500 to get clear brackets, so $800 seems reasonable. I think it was worth paying the extra.

SinkFullOfDinner

#5 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Nothing extra for ceramics for either me or my son, and we're at two different ortho practices.

Ravenclaw

#6 Post by Ravenclaw »

Thank you all for responding. I wish my ortho didn't charge extra. I'll probably just get clear for the top, since there seems to be some minor problems with having clear for the bottom. I guess an additional $400 for just the clear top won't be that bad. It's comparable to what claribeary paid for a clear top. But I'll try to get that price down a little bit more. It's hard to get over the fact that other people are getting clear braces for no additional cost. :D

Aaeolien

#7 Post by Aaeolien »

I think my ortho charged me $200 to get the ceramic on top. In the grand scheme of things whats another 200 LOL In my opinion it would be nice if they just tossed them in no charge because I am sure in the grand scheme of things the brackets I'm sure aren't a very big portion of their fees.

FlyByNight

#8 Post by FlyByNight »

For the top front 6 ceramic they were $200 more

Mpkh

#9 Post by Mpkh »

My orthodontist charges the same for ceramic and metals. Thus I chose to have ceramic for the social 6 and metal for the rest.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

Nozzelnut

#10 Post by Nozzelnut »

I paid an additional $300. Looking back; I'd just go all stainless and save my money. I've had a few ceramic brackets break and folks can still see your braces. Save your money.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

sjj929

#11 Post by sjj929 »

$900 for top and bottom.

CeramicCynthia

#12 Post by CeramicCynthia »

In my area it is 100-300 euro extra per arch I think.

BlondeCam

#13 Post by BlondeCam »

My ceramic upper were an additional $300. So glad I did it! With white ( not clear, they yellow super fast) ligs or power-chains they are very discrete, esp in photos and from a distance.

VioletStubbs

#14 Post by VioletStubbs »

My first ortho charged $400AUD extra for ceramic. Not sure if the guy I'm going with charges extra but his quote was lower overall.

katiedominique

#15 Post by katiedominique »

For me it would have been an extra £800 !! So I didn't do it!