Spacers... How Long???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kkalex

Spacers... How Long???

#1 Post by kkalex »

How long did you have to keep your spacers in???
:?: And how many did you have? I have to keep them in 4 2 weeks and i have 8... groan!

jenns91civic

#2 Post by jenns91civic »

I can't remember if I had 4 or 8. I think only 4 and they were only in for 6 days.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

csblackburn

spacers

#3 Post by csblackburn »

I had 12 for seven days here. The worst pain I've had by far without a doubt.
Got braces? http://www.igotbraces.com
The orthodontic and orthognathic surgery support forum for everyone.

Nikkiekoala

#4 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I had to get spacers twice! The first time I had 6, I had them for a week. The second time (which is now) I have 6 again... again for a week. They come out on Wed. than I will get the rest of my bands on and should NEVER have to deal with this again! Spacers have been the worst part of this for me. Some people feel like they are a minor annoyance and cope much better than I am coping now. I think I am not dealing with it well because I have had to do this two times.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

SweetSheena

#5 Post by SweetSheena »

Hi!

I had to have my spacers in for 10 days!
*~*I was here to leave my mark!*~* :)

06/2007 - Braces off
[/url]

swan

#6 Post by swan »

Before I got braces, I had 8 spacers for two weeks. Just recently, I had 9 spacers for my premolars for 7 days (turns out, probably only 6 of those were needed, I only got bands on 3 of the six teeth, the others got brackets).
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

Geri

#7 Post by Geri »

8 spacers for 5 days the first time around then this time around, 9 for one week. I am sure the extra one on the bottom is a mistake but when I queried it the assistant said she thought that that tooth would be banded - seemed plausible at the time but now I am wondering because the extra spacer is around an already banded tooth - sigh, wish I'd pushed the issue now. :-+

They went in this morning and now are beginning to ache...can't say I like the spacers bit at all. Definitely the worst part but at least its only for a short time usually. :soremouth:
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

jay.tee.

#8 Post by jay.tee. »

i got 8 spacers for 2 days.

bajanrose

#9 Post by bajanrose »

I had 4 spacers for 7 days
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

Echo

#10 Post by Echo »

I wonder why all ortho's don't use the same brackets. Thankfully I never had spacers because the brackets on my molars are just cemented right on the tooth like all the other brackets. My son has the same thing, but when he had his first phase of braces 6 years ago, he had the bands. I'm so glad things have changed so I avoided the spacer ordeal!
[/url]

swan

#11 Post by swan »

When you have a crown on a tooth, they have to put a band around it, because the glue doesn't work well for crowns. My ortho "hates" bands (e.g. because of the spaces they create between the teeth), but I still had to have them on three of my premolars where I have crowns.
I'm glad I don't have any crowns in the front. I was told that often, they have to rough up the crowns in front to make the brackets with the glue stick, and then after braces the crowns have to be replaced.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

BraceUrself

Re: Spacers... How Long???

#12 Post by BraceUrself »

kkalex wrote: I have to keep them in 4 2 weeks and i have 8.

Mine was exactly the same, 8 spacers in for 2 weeks
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

CelestialVoices

#13 Post by CelestialVoices »

I had my first set of 4 spacers in for 5 days, and yesterday I went to get my bands fitted and got 4 thicker spacers put back in (but I only need to have them in until tomorrow because I get my bands/appliance glued in) Both times they hurt let me tell ya! :( but I'm making it through :)