Did Everyone Have Spacers Pre-Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

serendipity

Did Everyone Have Spacers Pre-Braces?

#1 Post by serendipity »

Hi, :D

I have been reading posts the last couple of days and it seems like everyone has had spacers about a week before they were braced. I haven't been told anything about spacers from my orthodontist :shock: ...does everyone need spacers or is it a 'depends on your case thing'. :? Is it possible that when I get my braces next week they do braces and spacers in one day? :?

"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

serendipity

#2 Post by serendipity »

Thanks KK :D - come to think of it I do remember something about the ortho saying that I would be having bands on at a later stage. :idea: Do some people have bands from when they first get braces on? So you think that I might not have to have spacers pre-braces? if I'm having bands later :? <lol...oh the complex nature of it all...>
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

dkt3

#3 Post by dkt3 »

I only have top braces and didnt have to have spacers (I feel very very lucky!)

HeadgearJoe

Re: Did Everyone Have Spacers Pre-Braces?

#4 Post by HeadgearJoe »

serendipity wrote:Hi, :D

I have been reading posts the last couple of days and it seems like everyone has had spacers about a week before they were braced. I haven't been told anything about spacers from my orthodontist :shock: ...does everyone need spacers or is it a 'depends on your case thing'. :? Is it possible that when I get my braces next week they do braces and spacers in one day? :?

hi , good question , my first round in braces was with eight spacers being placed , this round this orthodontist don't use them in most cases he put on all my molors brackets that are called bigfoot molor brackets there as big as a molorband but only cover the whole side of the molors with headgear tubes an elastic hooks on all my molors , guess it's a new bracket style, HeadgearJoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

littleshaddies

#5 Post by littleshaddies »

I didn't have spacers on before braces. I had 4 premolars extracted tho and that made plenty of space :lol:
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Svensk Tiger

#6 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I didn't have spacers beforhand as such. My ortho put spacers between my molars (horrid blue things that felt like bricks!) and then put the bands in and removed the spacers in the same session. She did say that she would normally wait a week but I have quite a tight schedule in which I need to have my surgery done so she is moving things along as quickly as possible.

MadeIn1984

#7 Post by MadeIn1984 »

Nope, no spacers at all. No extractions. Seems I naturally have enough space in my mouth! Thank goodness. :wink:
Visit me on MySpace! :wink:

SweetSheena

#8 Post by SweetSheena »

I currently have spacers in, but only on the bottom, my orth told me that I just needed them on my bottom because thats where I will recieve my molar bands. he said i heeded them because I had lower crowding of my teeth. They were a little sore, but I get them out tomorrow and braces come on! I'm realy excited about it and ready to get them in and done!
*~*I was here to leave my mark!*~* :)

06/2007 - Braces off
[/url]

cookie

#9 Post by cookie »

No spacers for me either
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Caroline

#10 Post by Caroline »

No spacers or bands for me. I kind of feel like i'm cheating :roll:
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

weird_wired

#11 Post by weird_wired »

No spacers or extractions for me either. I still can't understand where the extra space to uncrowd my teeth is going to come from, unless some sort of black hole vortex anti-gravity is being created inside my mouth...

amychelle

Useless Spacers

#12 Post by amychelle »

I had spacers for 3 days, but one fell out before I got home and the other two didn't do any good. They couldn't get the spacers in in the first place. They used this little flat "sandpaper disk" to grind space between my teeth to get my bands on.

When he finally got the spacers "in" he said that he had "other ways" if they came out before I came back.

gracie381

#13 Post by gracie381 »

I had spacers for about a week on the top, then they replaced it with molar bands and a wire. I never had spacers on the bottom. That may happen in the future.
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

hannah164

#14 Post by hannah164 »

I had spacers before my upper braces and they definitely hurt! But for my bottom braces which go on in almost 3 weeks, He told me I was getting full bottom braces on November 16, and didn't mention spacers or set an appt. for them. I guess I don't need them this time. THank goodness!

-Hannah

Shelby014

#15 Post by Shelby014 »

ugh....i hate spacers, i had to have EIGHT of them four on top four on bottom, they had a very hard time getting them in too. I have to have my for a week, much i that week, i was soup bound. I hated them, my braces dont even bother me. But the spacers were pure torture.
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]