bite doesn't match up...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ann4461

bite doesn't match up...

#1 Post by ann4461 »

I just got my braces on yesterday and was wondering if this was normal, or if I should call my Orthodontist...
When I close my mouth, the only thing that touches is my one of my top front teeth, and my bottom bracket. My molars don't even come close to eachother. I don't really have an overbite, so my top braces won't fit over my bottom braces. Will this change? I only have to have my braces on for 6 months.
Thanks

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi,

If it is really bugging you I would call the ortho. But having said that, my bite changes just about everyday! It is really amazing and sometimes very annoying. For awhile I was hitting nothing but one tooth in the back... very annoying. I called my ortho, went in and he ground the tooth down a bit. Then my front tooth was hitting my bottom bracket! Urgh! About a week later that went away. Then it seemed suddenly all the back teeth are behaving themselves better. I wonder if that will go away too! I guarantee that many on this site will have similar stories to tell.

SweetSheena

#3 Post by SweetSheena »

I think that you should make your ortho aware of this because when your eating and u may bite down hard this can cause you to knock the bracket off your bottom teeth.
*~*I was here to leave my mark!*~* :)

06/2007 - Braces off
[/url]

Chaim9778

#4 Post by Chaim9778 »

Most orthos can give you a little bumper to put on the bottom teeth so you don't hit the bracket accidentally and knock it off. As far as the rest of the teeth not touching, welcome to the wonderful world of braces! It's so hard to try and explain that to someone who has never been braced. It doesn't take long, maybe 6-8 weeks for the bite to improve though. It definitely takes some getting used to, don't worry it will improve fairly quickly though.

Chaim9778

#5 Post by Chaim9778 »

I was thinking of a little rubber thingy though. I tried to find a pic of one, but couldn't.

T4raegirl

#6 Post by T4raegirl »

i have the cement on my bottom molars...the ortho said it has to stay for about 4 monthes...and then i get my bottoms put on.
*~*Live to LOVE and LOVE to live*~*
CSULB Class of 2010! Go Beach!
BrEa OlInDa HiGh ScHoOl ClaSs Of 2006!

Top Metal Braces: October 20, 2005
Lower Metal Braces: January 2006

[/url]

TuZZi

#7 Post by TuZZi »

From the very first day I was braced, my bite has been screwed up. I even had to go back to the ortho my first day and get a bracket unbonded because I was chomping down on it when I closed my mouth.

Every day my bite changes... some days my molars are just milimeters apart, some days they are almost a centimetre apart, and some days they totally touch. It makes it quite interesting being able to chew a little bit one day, and not at all the next.

All of this is perfectly normal, and it's going to happen on a steady basis until we are all late in treatment. Get used to it.... and look at it as a positive change and that things are moving in the right direction!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!