Really scared to start this!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Really scared to start this!

#1 Post by genxsis »

Well, I've been to the ortho for an initial exams and x-rays which I haven't seen yet. Then I thought I'd look on the 'net to see if there was a message board on the subject. Bingo! Here I am!

After reading about all the pain you people have suffered through, and some of you sounding like you wish you never started with braces, well, it sounds like a living nightmare! All that pain and suffering to get straight teeth? Is it really worth it?

Here's my case: I'm 34 and have what the ortho called a moderate to severe case. Mainly an big overbite. But the main reason I went there was because my dentist noticed an eye tooth that is overlapping a tooth behind it, making it hard to clean, and if a cavity forms (which has now happened), he couldn't work on it. He wanted to pull the rearward tooth and then have an ortho put braces on to keep the eye tooth from "tipping". The ortho says I'd have to get braces on ALL teeth, requiring me to get a total of 4 teeth pulled.

Now, my only intention was to get this one tooth fixed, not spend the next 2 years (as the ortho said) in braces and alot of pain. I'm not that concerned about looks anymore. I'm not in pain now, and my bite is Ok. I'd rather leave well enough alone.

Finally, everyone I've read about on this board so far has had braces for 3, 4, or 5 or more years. My ortho said it'd be only 2. Is this correct? Or is just an optimistic estimate to not scare me away?

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

Welcome to the board!

You're the only one who can say if you are willing to commit to the ortho process. It is a long, slow, time-consuming, sometimes uncomfortable process. Straight teeth isn't the only reason people decide to undergo ortho treatment. Many of us have bite problems caused by teeth being mis-aligned. We are trying to avoid problems, such as yours with the cavity, and worse in the future.

I think one of the Docs posted once that no one has ever died from needing braces and not having them. If you're not willing to make the commitment, then don't - it's just that simple.

There are a lot of people on the board who have exceeded their initial treatment time estimate, but there are also those who have gotten their braces off early. It's just an estimate so you can't set a watch by any date given to you by an ortho. You can only hope he is giving you a pretty good educated guess.

Good luck with your decision.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

swan

#3 Post by swan »

You must have started with the wrong topic. Most people here are having their braces for two years or less. Orthos are usually pretty good at making estimates.

The pain is not that much for most people, either. But those day that you do have pain venting helps a lot :)

Like you, I'm not concerned about looks (I'm 39 btw), but about the health implications. I think braces are worth it just for that, and then there's the nice look of the straight teeth as a bonus :D
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

privatepilot

#4 Post by privatepilot »

I say go for it now-esepcially if you have good insurance because you never know if that might change. I went into it for the cosmetic reasons but now feel it was a good health decision. I was warned that if I did not correct my bite, my teeth would start shearing off. I then found out it would cost about $1500 per implant to replace them or get dentures. I'd rather keep my teeth. You will have good days and bad days. You will get cankers and have headaches and spit on people without meaning to. You might develop a funny lisp so keep your sense of humor. Some days I can't take it anymore and just go to bed. But overall, sometimes you have good brace days, and sometimes bad...just like with anything else. It feels good when you see movement and can floss easier, I'm glad I did it and I still have 28 months to go!
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

Evelyn

#5 Post by Evelyn »

Keep in mind that a lot of times this board is the only place that many people have to vent. That's probably why it may seem as though a lot of people wished they hadn't started, but in reality I think 99% of us are glad that we did. I definately have my times when I wish I had never gone through it-those are the times that I turn to this board for help, sympathy, and reassurance that I'm doing the right thing, and many times I complain that I wish I'd never started, but deep down when I get my braces off, I know I will be glad I stuck it out. The rest of the times I'm just living my life as normal and my braces don't get in the way that much.

Also, many people did not get them purely for cosmetic reasons. I am an example myself, it was necessary unless I wanted a canine poking through the middle of my two front teeth later on in life and completely throwing off my whole mouth, teeth, and bite, and no amount of grumbling was going to change that.

No one is going to force you to get braces, only you know if you want them enough to go through the two or so years of treatment. And to be perfectly honest, most of the time they're not even that big of a deal. your life goes on just the same after you got your braces as before you had them-once you pass the initial-getting-used-to-them month everything's back to normal.

Only you can really answer this question.
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

lilsisbet

#6 Post by lilsisbet »

In the end, you are the only one that can make the decision to go for it or not Personally, I can say that in 7 months, I only had 2 days where I had any kind of pain. And that was at my last adjustment where the Ortho put on a thicker wire. It was nothing that an advil didn't cure. At this point, I can't even remember if I had discomfort when the braces were first put on. I am 7 months into it and the time has flown by.

I can tell you that I do regret not going through this process 20 years ago. I am 46 now and chickened out when I was in my late 20's. I had gone for the appt, x-rays, etc... and in the end decided not to do it. Now 20 years later the only real thing I can remember is the regret of not doing it sooner. I can guarantee you that if it is bothering you now to where you are thinking about getting it fixed... it won't get better on its own - it probably will get worse.

Good luck on your decision. It is a long-term commitment.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

Juliet

#7 Post by Juliet »

Of course, the final decision is yours but I, too, have my only regret being not getting braces years ago. I had braces as a teen but lack of waering my retainers and wisodm teeth coming in caused a lot of shifting. In my late 20s it was apparent I needed to be rebraced but I kept putting it off for various reasons. Now, at 51, I finally got braces 7 months ago. As of three years ago, my insurance no longer pays anything for adult orthodontics. But I am so glad I finally made the decision. I'll be finished in less than a year and a half. If I hadn't done it, time would still be passing and I'd still have crooked teeth. I don't like the braces, but I have learned to live with them. They are more annoying than painful but it will all be worth it. I have seen lots of movement in a short time - it's a very rewarding experience.

littleshaddies

#8 Post by littleshaddies »

Hi genxsis and welcome.
Straight to the point. I said not long ago I don't care how my teeth look, I am past the stage of teasing by kids and adults are too polite to point out. Only lately I was looking at photos of myself with a big green and decided I hate my teeth. Yes, I know the health benefits but my mind was made up because of the cosmetic issue. So I went and got the consultation, had 4 premolars pulled out, spent my savings and got braces. Hurrah :lol:
Do they hurt? They did hurt me the first few days. But I am a girl, I cry when I brake a nail. I didn't get sores tho, lucky me :wink:
Just to think how vain I am going to be in a year time and annoy other people with my straight teeth, that alone is got to be worth the effort
:BigGrin:
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

littleshaddies

#9 Post by littleshaddies »

You wait Meryaten. Once I get my pics sorted I'll show you the mother of all ovejets :lol: And you are so right about biting. Front teeth 7mm in front of the bottom. Anyone that can beat that :?:

I found a friend!!! :-1
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

genxsis

#10 Post by genxsis »

Well, thank you everyone for your encouragement. I had already gotten the x-rays and everything done and was really having second thoughts. Lately, I decided to forget the whole thing, but now I might reconsider and go through with it. It sounds like it's not quite as bad as I had expected.

My biggest fear is just being in agony all the time and getting depressed as a result, not being able to eat most of what I like, not being able to go to a resteraunt because I'll have food stuck in my braces all day, not being able to chew and having to go on a liquid diet, and maybe even skipping meals to avoid pain and avoid the big cleaning process afterwards. It sounds like SUCH a hassle! But if you guys say it's not that big a deal, well, you would know better than me!

My chances of going ahead with this just went up!

Evelyn

#11 Post by Evelyn »

genxsis wrote:
My biggest fear is just being in agony all the time and getting depressed as a result, not being able to eat most of what I like, not being able to go to a resteraunt because I'll have food stuck in my braces all day, not being able to chew and having to go on a liquid diet, and maybe even skipping meals to avoid pain and avoid the big cleaning process afterwards. It sounds like SUCH a hassle! But if you guys say it's not that big a deal, well, you would know better than me!

My chances of going ahead with this just went up!

being in agony all the time and getting depressed as a result: I promis you you will not be in agony all the time. In fact, there is very little time that you will be in agony. For me, there was no 'agony' at all. Some uncomfort, the most uncomfortable thing was when I got surgery but even that was faaaaar from agony.

Not being able to eat most of what I like: If you get metal brackets, you can. I'm not trying to encourage other people to break the rules, I'm just sharing my story. I eat everything, and I've only broken a bracket once in the 37 months that I've had braces. Just eat a little more carefully than usual, and you'll be fine. Heck, I even bite into apples :oops:. I do it all-caramel, all gummy candy, popcorn, fruit, pizza, soda, gum, I eat anything and everything I want to. Just brush carefully after. You try saying no to all this for 41 months...it just aint gonna happen. There really is no food handicap. you just learn to eat more carefully and not chomp down really hard on hard/sticky food.

Not being able to go to a restaurant because I'll have food stuck in my braces everyday: Another reason to get metals, I personally think that people make this way too big of an issue. It's actually very easy, you learn a sucking technique fairly early on and heck, eat out whereever and whenever you want. I don't get things stuck in my teeth when I eat-you just get used to sucking out the food and cleaning off your brackets with your tongue discretely. Anyways, just cover your mouth if you're talking and feel self-conscious. People understand, most have had braces themselves. Braces are definatley no reason to be stuck at home all day without any fun.

Not being able to chew and having to go on a liquid diet: Phooey. Chew whatever you want. The longest I've had to go on a liquid diet for was half a day after I got my surgery. Other than that, I eat whatever I want. The first day I got braces, I ate pizza. Is it a little uncomfortable? Yes, but will it kill you? No. Anyway, there are many soft foods you can eat. Also, tearing apart your food instead of biting it off helps a lot. Generally I find that my back molars don't hurt as much as the front teeth. Anyway, generally your whole mouth doesn't hurt at the same time, it goes in cycles and I can always find someplace that it doesn't hurt that much to chew. Liquid diets....phooey-not for me thanks.

Skipping meals to avoid pain. See above. I've gotta run now, but I hope you take osme of these into consideration. If you don't make it a big deal, then trust me it won't seem like that big of a deal.

xoxo Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

genxsis

#12 Post by genxsis »

Evelyn:

Thank you for your words of encouragement! I really need it right now! But you said you've been in braces for 37 months! My dentist said 24 for me. This kind of goes back to what I said in my original post about the times being longer for most people.

I'm gonna be asking my ortho about his time estimate for me.

genxsis

#13 Post by genxsis »

Evelyn:

Thank you for your words of encouragement! I really need it right now! But you said you've been in braces for 37 months! My dentist said 24 for me. This kind of goes back to what I said in my original post about the times being longer for most people.

I'm gonna be asking my ortho about his time estimate for me.

genxsis

#14 Post by genxsis »

KK:

Thank you too, for your advice! (And my apology to everyone for that double post).

Oddly, my Mom and brother (who had braces when younger, and since had his teeth pulled for being too brittle) advise me NOT to get braces. They say it's not important enough because it's mainly for looks. True, I guess. My main reason for it is because my dentist recommended it because of the overlapped teeth. The next chance I get, I'll ask him if there's anyway of avoiding it. If not, then I guess I'll do it!

butterfly

#15 Post by butterfly »

genxsis wrote:My biggest fear is just being in agony all the time
The days after my wisdoms - THAT was agony but braces are nothing so far.
and getting depressed as a result
The depression turns into euphoria when you look into the mirror and notice your first tiny change. With me it happened in only 6 days.
not being able to eat most of what I like
OK this in an issue. I agree. There are foods you will not be able to eat for some time. For example a rump steak. (Can you eat a rump steak at any given time in braces? I cannot imagine it.) And there will be days where you eat only soup and mashed potatos. On the other hand you will discover new foods you can eat. Another bonus is healthier food! I banned sugary drinks and sodas for example and discovered great natural juices I would never have bought/made otherwise. And I lost weight which is not bad! Even when I eat normal food I eat it much slower and more consciously. This makes you eat less and you loose weight.
not being able to go to a resteraunt because I'll have food stuck in my braces all day
So you clean them afterwards! You will remember your favorite restaurants which offer the food you want and a sink/mirror set that suits your needs. Instead of using the toilet after the meal I use the toilet and brush my teeth. Adds a few more minutes and that's it.
maybe even skipping meals to avoid pain and avoid the big cleaning process afterwards

This is true. Snacking is out of the question. I hate my mouth to be unclean so sometimes I just skip a snack to avoid cleaning again. Especially sweet stuff. After sweet stuff I clean immediatly. So I often skip it. But this is not bad. Snacking just makes you fat anyway.
It sounds like SUCH a hassle!

It is a hassle. At day 4 I wanted to quit because I couldn`t eat at a restaurant. I cried there!

But then I thought: 1,5 years of hassle like this OR 30, 40, 50 years more of smiling and laughing behind my hand and being afraid of any photo that could show my teeth? (Not speaking of loosing all my teeth because I cannot clean them) Which is the bigger hassle and a bigger bad impact on my social life and health? Now I sometimes smile because I am less ashamed of my crooked construction site than I was of my crooked teeth and not doing anything about them... And I know that in a few months only I will have a perfect line of teeth already with no black gaps in between.

Please think about it. Good luck with your treatment keep us posted.

PS I posted a thread pre-braces myself - My first archwired post. You can read it here:
viewtopic.php?t=6168&highlight=
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner