So I got this new thing yesterday.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mtbrncofn

So I got this new thing yesterday.....

#1 Post by mtbrncofn »

I was in yesterday for a dreaded adjustment. At my previous appointment, my assistant told me that I would have my biggest wire put in the next visit. I was cringing because the one before that just about killed me.

I got there all prepared for the worst when the asst. told me it was going to be a simple appt. I told her I was surprised and explained that I had just had a lig change last time and was supposed to getting this new horrendous wire. She checked, someone forgot to write what happened last visit down, and said I was right. ( should have kept my big mouth shut. )

I have one slightly rotated canine that has been wire tied for the last 2 months. I never even realized it was rotated til he tied it and told me about it. Apparrently you can't get this new wire if the tooth hasn't rotated enough, which it hadn't. So he put this weird thing on my tooth next to my bracket and wire tied it too. I don't know what it is, but it's gray and he had to wedge it up under my wire and right next to the bracket. It felt like he was going to push the tooth out of my mouth. I am definitely feeling pressure on it now.

Anyone know what this is called or have one?

I'm almost hoping it doesn't do the trick right away either because my next visit is 3 days before Thanksgiving and if I get that new wire, I won't be able to gorge myself because I'll be in so much pain. ( Which could be a good thing )
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

mtbrncofn

#2 Post by mtbrncofn »

KK wrote:mtbrncofn that all sounds kinda scary and painful! Is it a rotation wedge that he's placed there to convince the tooth to rotate?

Hope things improve quickly and you can make a decision to phone your ortho's office to get your appointment moved forward or back so that you don't have to deal with that new wire so close to Thanksgiving. Good luck :banana:
Aha! That is what he said it was! Thanks Karen! For the life of me, I couldn't remember what he called it.

I'm hoping it does it's job quickly too. Thanksgiving is my favorite eating holiday!

AustinWired

Wedges

#3 Post by AustinWired »

I had a couple of those wedges in for 6 weeks or so. They weren't bad after the first day or two. Hope they work quickly for you so you can enjoy Thanksgiving! :)
Braced 1/27/2005
De-Braced 12/5/2005
Ceramic brackets, now in Essix retainers!

mtbrncofn

Re: Wedges

#4 Post by mtbrncofn »

AustinWired wrote:I had a couple of those wedges in for 6 weeks or so. They weren't bad after the first day or two. Hope they work quickly for you so you can enjoy Thanksgiving! :)
I was whining to my brother about how the wedge looked. I have metal braces, with maroon ligs on top and teal on the bottom right now. The wedge is on the top. I was telling him it made it look like I had something stuck in my teeth constantly. He asked, "Oh so it looks like a piece of meat sticking out there?" I told him no, it was gray. He then replied, "Oh so it looks like a ROTTEN piece of meat stuck there!"

Ahaahahahaha. Very funny. Thanks for the support, little bro. :x

AustinWired

Rotators

#5 Post by AustinWired »

Sorry about your brother. Maybe next time you can ask for the clear kind. They switched mine out when they changed my ligs so I always had fresh ones. They do stain a little, but they're not that noticeable.
Braced 1/27/2005
De-Braced 12/5/2005
Ceramic brackets, now in Essix retainers!

londonchick

#6 Post by londonchick »

its an anti rotation wedge - i too had one for a few months to rotate a stubborn tooth. The only down side to it was when i had it removed and i had so much tartar behind it it was awful. Then as i had that removed i had a power chain put on so my hygienst couldn't get rid of all the tartar. I now have ligs back again so i should finally be able to get it scraped off.

Oh the joys of a calcium rich saliva. :lol:

mtb_nwbraces

#7 Post by mtb_nwbraces »

Mtbrncofn – strange thing happened to me yesterday, I do not come to this site as mush as I use to, usually just before appointments just to check out the latest threads. Yesterday I just happen to read this thread just before I went to my appointment. During the appointment the assistant was putting these things on two of my teeth when she said they are wedges and she would explain them to me after she finished. I told no need too I just read about them on this site. It’s kind of cool when you read about something new then go to the Ortho’s office and get them put on.
Braced - Jan 6th 2005
Full Metal Brackets
Teeth released from Bondage - July 25th 2006

mtbrncofn

#8 Post by mtbrncofn »

Cool, mtb!

Londonchick, I clearly remember him calling it a rotation wedge and that is what they keep trying to do with that tooth...rotate it.