Flossing around molar bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dadio

Flossing around molar bands

#1 Post by Dadio »

I've searched and not found this and my daughter isn't experiencing this. We were braced together 3 weeks ago, so we check with each other on lots of things we're experiencing.

I don't seem to be able to floss between the band and the tooth next to it, very tight spacing on 3 of the 4 bands I have. Normal? Don't be concerned? I'm using superfloss.

Another good thing about Dad & Daughter in braces together is that I've told her that she better run out of floss about the same time I do. I guess I'll be much more aware of her dental care now that we're in the same boat.

Thanks!

thecoffeemouse

#2 Post by thecoffeemouse »

Hi Dadio!

I also have 4 bands, but like your daughter, I am not having a problem flossing between or around them. Maybe you should mention to your ortho. I'm sure that given more time, the spaces will open up making it easier to floss between those teeth.

My daughter and I also had our braces put on together (within days of each other). It's been fun. :O)

thecoffeemouse

#3 Post by thecoffeemouse »

Hi Dadio!

I also have 4 bands, but like your daughter, I am not having a problem flossing between or around them. Maybe you should mention to your ortho. I'm sure that given more time, the spaces will open up making it easier to floss between those teeth.

My daughter and I also had our braces put on together (within days of each other). It's been fun. :O)

camille4824

#4 Post by camille4824 »

Invest in a "WaterPik".........when I couldn't get floss in between certain teeth--because of the bands--I asked my ortho for a easier way out........
My waterpik is my alternative to flossing.....Good Luck!
Pendulum worn 10/12/04 until 4/19/05
Braced on top 1/19/05
Bottom braced 4/19/05
Damon 3 brackets

mackenzie

#5 Post by mackenzie »

They might have accidentally gotten glue in there. I couldn't floss one side of one of mine because of that, but they scraped it out for me at the next adjustment.

tkais

#6 Post by tkais »

I had trouble at first also, but as my teeth started moving it became easier to floss.

Dadio

#7 Post by Dadio »

As they say down here, "Thanks y'all!" I have my first checkup/adjustment 11/7, so I'll get the professional answer then.

Have a great weekend everyone!

swan

#8 Post by swan »

Try Glide Threader Floss (or any other thin tape-like floss), it's a lot thinner. I've tried the Superfloss a couple of times and it's just way too thick to get between most of my teeth.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

TuZZi

#9 Post by TuZZi »

I had problems flossing between any of my molars before I had my extractions and got the springs on. Now I'm having no problems getting even the thickest floss in between the bands.

Definately ask at your next appt. if there is glue inbetween.... I had it stuck between a few teeth for the first month.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!