Ouchie

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kellyonz100

Ouchie

#1 Post by kellyonz100 »

I am in extreme pain. It's been about 36 hours since I got my braces. I just got ceramics on top and the bonded bracket on my back molars is tearing up my cheek. I am a radio dj and today my cheek starting bleeding from talking. UGHHHHHH!!!! I have wax on them and now have started to do salt water rinses regularly. Is there anything I can get to numb this area? Oragel or what? Please help me.

Other then that I have noticed my bite has really changed. I seen to be getting spaces between my teeth, which kind of freaks me out. God if the tops hurt this bad, I don't even want to see how it's going to be when I get the bottoms. :(

Chocoholic

#2 Post by Chocoholic »

Hey Kelly,

I work in Radio too and I was in terrible pain when I first got my braces, I wondered how on earth I was going to do my show. But as Karen says load up on the wax, it really helps. I was a bit frustrated at first as I had a small lisp as well, but I just made light of the whole situation.

There have been times where I've wanted to seg loads of music as I just couldn't cope with talking, esp when the inside of my cheeks and lips were rubbed raw and I had ulcers, the thought of talking for 4 hours just made me cringe, but you get used to it - honest.

kellyonz100

#3 Post by kellyonz100 »

Thanks so much guys. I feel like a freak and a baby. I guess I should just toughen up. Chocoholic, where do you work in radio? My boss was all worried I would sound weird during our fall ratings period. I have a tiny lisp, but it's not too bad. I am off to the store for something to numb the sores. Have a nice night guys and thanks again. :D

amychelle

Wax Alternative

#4 Post by amychelle »

I wanted to let you know about an alternative to wax that you may find helpful. When I used wax it seemed to me that it would get all soft and shift around, and I was constantly reaching in there mushing it back to where it should be (especially in the back.) I found a discussion thread on here about silicone wax and decided to try it, except, I don't have it at my local WalMart. BUT!!! Someone suggested Mack's Pillowsoft Silicone Earplugs. They are wonderful. They don't "melt" like the wax did for me. It is super soft and lasts forever! I work 12 hr shifts and it will last all day for me (even during eating if you get it on right and are careful.) I literally had to peel it off at the end of the day where my wax would have mysteriously disappeared by then.

http://www.macksearplugs.com/product2.htm

Oh yeah, and it says in the insert:
IN CASE OF MISUSE: If you, your child or your pet has swallowed a plug, do not worry. It will pass through the body in the normal way. It is non-toxic and will cause no harm....
I found mine at Walmart near the contact solution. It was about $5 and you get 12 "blobs" (which actually ends up being cheaper than the $1 disappearing wax that equals about a "blob.")

Something to consider.

And something to ponder.... I've read a bunch of posts about radio personell but very few about TV personell (or actors, etc). Which, if you think about it, is strange. The saying is "You have a face for radio," but it's the radio people who are getting their teeth fixed!

Chocoholic

#5 Post by Chocoholic »

Hey Kelly, I do the breakfast show on a national radio station in Dubai.

Yeah my boss was also a bit worried, but it's all been OK.

Although today, I've got major sores just inside my lips, so I have a face full of wax and am spitting all over the place, pity the guy who's on after me as he'll be faced with a microphone dripping with drool.