How often do you get your teeth cleaned at the dentist?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Juliet

How often do you get your teeth cleaned at the dentist?

#1 Post by Juliet »

Before braces, I had my teeth cleaned every 6 months. Since braces, I use a Sonicare Elite toothbrush, but even so, the hygienist says I should have my teeth cleaned 4 times a year, rather than just twice. How often do you have your teeth cleaned?

tkais

#2 Post by tkais »

I've been getting mine cleaned every 6 months. My ortho or dentist have never said anything different.

momof2grlz

#3 Post by momof2grlz »

Every six months before. Every three months like clockwork now.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Knucemike

#4 Post by Knucemike »

Every six months, that never changed after I got the braces. I believe its because f the sonicare toothbrush which i bought just after the braces went on
Braces on 11/03 - Hopefully off 5/06 -Now changed to 4/07

Chocoholic

#5 Post by Chocoholic »

Same every 6 months, no-one has told me any different and my ortho is a real stickler for proper teeth cleaning, he will absolutely say if he doesn't think you're doing a good job with the cleaning.

BracesAt42

Every 3 Months...

#6 Post by BracesAt42 »

I had my teeth cleaned every 3 months when I was wearing my braces. Now that my braces are off, I am back to every 6 months.

As another poster mentioned, I switched to a Sonicare after having my braces about 6 months, which helped tremendously in keeping things clean.

If possible, have your ortho take out your archwires prior to your hygiene appointments which makes it much easier to get your teeth cleaned.
Yep, Braces at Age 42!
Damon 2's
Braces On: 9-18-2003
Braces Off: 7-13-2005

swan

#7 Post by swan »

Approximately every 6 months before braces.
Now with braces every 4 months. Once they wanted me back after 3 months because my gums were getting a little inflamed, but now it's back to every 4 months.
The dental insurance pays two cleanings a year.

They always take my wires out for cleanings but it's at the same office. I think cleanings can be done with wires in, but it's more difficult to do.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

lpgapro

#8 Post by lpgapro »

I have my teeth cleaned once a month since I have had my braces. I will go six weeks at the most. I go to my surgeon's office and have them cleaned and also have a bacteria check. I have never had gum problems and don't want to start since I have my braces. I brush at least 4 times a day and use my water pik more than that. I travel a lot and always have my Sonic Care and water pik with me. I would rather be safe than sorry, especially knowing I have 4 more surgeries to go through and a very long road until this whole process is complete.

cookie

#9 Post by cookie »

I still go every 6 months, just like I did pre-braces.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

jcdamon3

#10 Post by jcdamon3 »

I go every six months and I haven't been told to go more often, but my dentist may tell me at the fnext visit.

When they took my archwire off at my last adjustment the assistant scraped some tartar (sp?) off of my lower teeth where I couldn't clean very well. I thought that was very kind and I was so grateful. This seems to be where most of the just collects anwyay even though I floss and scrape and try really hard to keep it clean.

Aine

#11 Post by Aine »

I got my teeth cleaned the day before my braces were put on and the hygenist recommended that I get them cleaned every 4 months with the braces on rather that the normal 6 month schedule I have always followed.