Palatal Expansion

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eoberhauser

Palatal Expansion

#1 Post by eoberhauser »

I just had my first consult with an ortho. At my consult, the ortho told me he would like for me to have a palatal expander put in. According to them I have a narrow palate, but there's no crowding, he more acted like it would just give me a much broader smile. I am in no way interested in any kind of surgery unless I'm dying! I don't take medication, and would be terrified of pain killers. Has anyone had this suggested and found that it wasn't necessary? What are some of your "palate widths" that did or didn't get expanded? I have a second opinion scheduled for Tuesday so I'm sure I will get more info then.

Thanks!
Erin

decisionmade

#2 Post by decisionmade »

i'm afraid I don't have any masurements to offer you but I do know that my smile is now broader .. for example you can see more of my teeth when I smile and my crossbite is gone:) which is vey exciting...Not only dd I hav ethis for cosmetic reasons- but more importantly- to create a healthier bite for my treeth and my jaw...the doctors couldn't guarantee I would have problems as I aged if I didn't have the expansion but it would probably be the case...anyway I am thrilled with my results..hope this helps :D
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

megan_in_pink

#3 Post by megan_in_pink »

did it hurt, cusse i am getting one on monday and i am worried

bre

#4 Post by bre »

i had an expander. ( im only 14 now) i had one when i was 13 for about a year. tunred 2 tines a day everyday. it actualy dind't bother me at all. everyone makes them out to be horrid, but they really aren't bad.
and i actuually had very spaced out teeth, but he said my pallate still needed ot be widened.