Flossing....HELP!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFaceBarbie

Flossing....HELP!!

#1 Post by BraceFaceBarbie »

Hello!

Are you kidding me with the flossing?? I just got my Damon's put on Oct 17 and I don't think I can maintain the flossing with that threader thing. HELP!!! There must be a better way!!
I just got done flossing right now and I swear it took me 30 minutes. I am not getting better at this.
Any suggestions??
Braced on 10/17/05
Damon 3's
upper & lower
33 years old!

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

Use Superfloss. It has a hard end that you can easily feed under your archwire. I can floss my whole mouth in around 5 minutes now.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

beanstix

I got so sick of flossing...

#3 Post by beanstix »

Hi BraceFaceBarbie - I got so sick of flossing that I've now adopted a different cleaning routine and it works well - for me, anyway - and I'm one of those lucky people who gets loads of plaque build-up.

I use the TePe interdental brushes in size 0.45mm (I buy these from a supplier on ebay). They are absolutely brilliant - and I find that they clean between teeth - and below the gum line - far better than floss. I still use floss - but only on the back molars - and for a quick flick around the others. Since doing this I have reclaimed my life!

I also use Colgate Peroxyl once every other day (in addition to my normal mouthwash) which is excellent for freshening and cleaning the mouth.

In my experience, definitely worth a try.
Lower incisor extraction & metal lower: 31.03.05
Ceramic upper: 27.05.05
Treatment time: 18 months

BracesAt42

Experiment with different threaders...

#4 Post by BracesAt42 »

I can relate to your frustration! Flossing was one of the hardest things to get used to for me when I had my braces.

The key for me was finding the right kind of floss threaders. I found that the Dentek brand worked great for me -- they were longer and a more rigid plastic than others I tried. I got used to flossing this way after just a few weeks.

Check out the "Products/Gadgets" portion of this website and search for floss threaders; this may provide you with some ideas on other brands to try.

Good luck...it will get easier over time!
:D
Yep, Braces at Age 42!
Damon 2's
Braces On: 9-18-2003
Braces Off: 7-13-2005

BraceFaceBarbie

#5 Post by BraceFaceBarbie »

Thank you all for your comments! I am definitely going to try out your suggestions!
Braced on 10/17/05
Damon 3's
upper & lower
33 years old!

Barbiedoll

#6 Post by Barbiedoll »

Hi, another Barbie ... cool. I'm just starting on this road and have trouble flossing as well. My hubby just got a water Pik for me and I love it. I also use the super floss sometimes. :D
I reject your reality … and substitute my own.

bigant63

would you like to try a FlossFish

#7 Post by bigant63 »

I'm still conducting trials if you would like to try the flossfish (for free)? I just ask that you leave your input. If you have extreme crowding it may not work well for you but for most people it has saved time. I'm actually about to repost and reopen free trials to archwired members as soon as I get my stats back. to see how it works you can go to http://flossfish.com/instructions.html to request a flossfish I need you to fill out our request form at http://flossfish.com/notificationForm.html?note=notif