white or stained teeth with braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jenn17780

white or stained teeth with braces?

#1 Post by Jenn17780 »

I was curious if anyone out there still has pearly whites with braces. I tried to keep my teeth white, by constantly brushing, flossing and using mouth wash..and that didn't work. I even stayed away from coffee, soda, etc. My friend, who had braces before I did said keeping your teeth white with braces on is a lost cause. Does anyone out there have the same problem or any suggestions to get whiter teeth with braces on?

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

I've only had my braces on for 2 months and I've noticed a lot of staining this month. It seems that there is a yellow strip across my brackets and the only parts of my teeth that are still white are the tops by the gums, and the very bottoms of each tooth.

I usually bruch my teeth for 15 mins each shot, and I pay careful attention not to leave any food behind, yet my teeth still stain. What's the dilly?
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

Evelyn

#3 Post by Evelyn »

I've been pretty lucky with being able to keep my teeth 'white'. Granted, they're definately not bright white, but I haven't noticed any staining since I got my braces. I don't drink tea, coffee, wine (I'm too young:) or any of those typical 'stainers' so maybe that has something to do with it as well. I do drink soda though, I'm just careful to brush extra well on the days that I do.

Here's the latest pic

I brush about 2-3 times a day and floss maybe twice a week, I'm not obsessive about brushing-I just don't have the time, but if I notice that my teeth are looking less than their best I pick it up a notch. I haven't noticed any stained areas or bands around the brackets.

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

BracesAt42

Yes, staining the first few months...

#4 Post by BracesAt42 »

Yes, I noticed that I had a bad stain running right under my archwires after the first 2 or 3 months of wearing braces. I was kind of horrified when I went to the hygienist to get my teeth cleaned the first time after having braces.

I had been brushing 4 or 5 times a day, but somehow was not getting under the archwire.

I then switched to a Sonicare...whoa...what a difference. No more staining under the archwire or practically anywhere else. My ortho always complimented me on how clean my teeth were. I would use my Sonicare while at home and a regular brush when at the office or gym, etc.
Yep, Braces at Age 42!
Damon 2's
Braces On: 9-18-2003
Braces Off: 7-13-2005

littleshaddies

#5 Post by littleshaddies »

It is not just the stains. After my braces were put on I felt like my mouth was never clean enough.
I found solution that works for me. I brush my teeth as normal, then I have a good go with bicarbonate soda and after that some pearl drops polish. Feels much cleaner after that and no stains yet. :-1
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

TuZZi

#6 Post by TuZZi »

Anyone else notice that their breath is worse with braces than it was without?? Eventhough I'm brushing more, and drinking more water, my mouth never really tastes clean except for the first 10 minutes or so after I brush. I've noticed the wax stinks when I take it out as well! haha

TuZZi

#7 Post by TuZZi »

Yeah, my TPA isn't helping matters. I don't find that stuff gets stuck under the TPA, but it's created grooves in my tongue for bacteria to sit. I've also noticed that the back of my tongue is nasty colours and has icky looking bumps on it somedays too. No idea what they are... I try to brush the ickyness away but it doesn't budge.

Clo

#8 Post by Clo »

Hi,

after some months in braces, I experienced the same.
More stains, brushing A LOT did not help at all.
Then I tried Rembrandt toothpaste. The one with baking soda in it.
Wow, call this an instant success !!
No, it does not whiten actually, but removes all kinds of stains. I use it
once a day with a normal toothbrush or with an electric brush. But I also
put some on a little brush that has the form of a X-mas tree. To clean
under the archwire, and in my case also to clean under all those extra
elastics hooks. It does wonders !! The other times a day I clean, I use
'normal' toothpaste, I guess not wanting to overdo it. And no, I do not
work for Rembrandt ... just experience it does a great job, for me !

Grapefruit

#9 Post by Grapefruit »

I'm like Eve, my sister actually told me that my teeth look whiter! I guess its all the extra brushing...or COLGATE! :D
--i luv sports.......and shoes--