Several years with retainer???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Several years with retainer???

#1 Post by genxsis »

Hi!

Nope, still haven't been braced yet, but my final consult is tomorrow! I have to decide by then, and I'm still doing research and asking questions. And in that research, I read in the braces FAQ on archwired.com that the retainer used at the end of the braces phase is used for several years! I had assumed it would only be a few months for some reason. And there are 3 different kinds, 2 of which look just like braces, only are worn on the tongue side! Metal too!

So let me see here: 4 extractions, spacers, braces for 2 years, retainer for several more years.....it just never seems to end once it starts, right?

TheUnk311

#2 Post by TheUnk311 »

It's like the energizer bunny! ><

I had 12 spacers, mostly braced, 4 extractions, 2 spacers, and now completely braced.

What I have coming, 6-8 more months, 1 more possible extraction, lower jaw surgery (ugh!!!), 6-9 more months, then a regular retainer for my upper and those metal ones on the tongue side of the lower teeth for an "indefinate" amount of time :cry:

I just keep telling myself it will have been worth it in the end. I know it will be!

jenns91civic

#3 Post by jenns91civic »

Retainers are FOREVER unless you want crooked teeth again. There are three main types of retainers: Essix (or similar brand) which are similar to invisalign aligners), Hawley (the most common, traditional wire and acrylic version), and "permanent" which are bonded to the back of the teeth (mostly the lower arch). None of them look "just like" braces, but yes, orthodontic treatment is a long committment. If you want your straight teeth forever, it's a lifetime committment.

Retainers are generally worn full time, 24/7 except eating and brushing, for 6-12 months (depending on the ortho), then nighttime only, for as long as you want straight teeth.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

thatgirlwithbraces

#4 Post by thatgirlwithbraces »

Actually, my orthodonist informed me that retainers ARE NOT a lifetime commitment. He said that many orthos simply straighten your teeth quickly and tell you wear retainers forever to keep your teeth straight. My ortho calls these orthos, "volume orthodontists."

When your teeth are moved by braces, etc. they are "limbo." They are not are not in a fixed position. If you are told to wear your retainers for a long long time then do know that your teeth are not stable...

It is possible to wear retainers for a short amount of time and then not wear them ever again.

That's what ortho said to me and I'm holding him to it!

Ebonygurl00

#5 Post by Ebonygurl00 »

thatgirlwithbraces wrote:Actually, my orthodonist informed me that retainers ARE NOT a lifetime commitment. He said that many orthos simply straighten your teeth quickly and tell you wear retainers forever to keep your teeth straight. My ortho calls these orthos, "volume orthodontists."

When your teeth are moved by braces, etc. they are "limbo." They are not are not in a fixed position. If you are told to wear your retainers for a long long time then do know that your teeth are not stable...

It is possible to wear retainers for a short amount of time and then not wear them ever again.

That's what ortho said to me and I'm holding him to it!
That's funny, my ortho, and everyother source that I've heard says that retainers are a lifetime commitment. I would ask around to other ortho's.....
[/url]

Juliet

#6 Post by Juliet »

My ortho said my retainers will be for life as well. He explained that as we age, our lower jaw naturally gets narrower. Since I'm 51 my jaw would continue to narrow, ruining my 24 months of braces if I don't wear a retainer forever. My children, who are 19 and 22, also continue to wear their retainers. Thye have both said that if they leave their retainers off for a week, they can tell their teeth have begun to shift even though they have both been out of braces for several years. Thye've decided to be lifers with the retainers now that they see what I'm going though!

thatgirlwithbraces

#7 Post by thatgirlwithbraces »

hmm...that's weird. perhaps i misunderstood my ortho...

i do believe the difference age makes in the jaws...but aside from that, i wonder if one's teeth do eventually become stable? that's what my orthodonist was insinuating it seemed.

well, i don't care if i have to wear my retainers a few nights a weeks for the rest of my life. they only hurt if your teeth move!

any one have any insight into this?

thatgirlwithbraces

#8 Post by thatgirlwithbraces »

i've searched the net and found this regarding retainers:

"A retainer is a device worn full or part-time after braces have been removed. The retainer is designed to prevent your teeth from drifting or moving while the bone around your teeth hardens and stabilizes. The longer you wear your retainer, the better your chances that your teeth will not relapse. Retainers provide assurance that your teeth will stay in alignment while your jaw continues to grow or develop. Retainers are really forever!"

"Retention is forever!!!

Just like other parts of the human body, the teeth and mouth change with time. I’m sure many of you know someone who had braces and now has crooked teeth again. The only way to prevent this is to wear your retainers forever. Yes, FOREVER."

"Wear your upper retainer FULL TIME for the next 6 weeks. If you have a lower flexible retainer, you are to wear it at nights only. Wear your retainers or your teeth will go back to where they were. Braces will then be needed to straighten your teeth again. If you leave your retainers out for a few days, do not expect to correct the resultant problem by then wearing your retainers. Retainers are to be worn a minimum of 3 years AND/OR until age 21. Even after this, retainer wear 2-3 nights per week may be necessary to keep your teeth in proper alignment. You should always have retainers that fit accurately."

So it looks like we all might as well our retainers as much as we can, especially at night!

mtbrncofn

#9 Post by mtbrncofn »

My ortho was also a lifetime committment retainer guy. I have no problem with wearing mine for the rest of my life at night ( after the intial couple of months of the constant wearing ).

I will have paid a lot of money and gone through pain to get my teeth to look good and for God's sake I don't want anything to happen to them!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

TuZZi

#10 Post by TuZZi »

I honestly don't care if I have to wear a retainer 24/7 for the rest of my life.... it will be well worth it after 20+ years of screwed up teeth and self-esteem issues.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

Chocoholic

#11 Post by Chocoholic »

Yeah my ortho also told me I'd have to wear retainers - forever, and he wants to go for the permanent ones bond behind the teeth, he has them himself which is kinda cool.

I think also Dr.J answered this question before in the ask the docs section.

cookie

#12 Post by cookie »

My ortho has told me I'll need to wear retainers for 5 years after the braces come off, but after reading this thread, I'm going to ask him about that at my next appointment.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

megan_in_pink

#13 Post by megan_in_pink »

if my braces ever come off :|

i will have to wear mine full time for year then 12 hrs a day for a year. then 2-3 night a week for the rest of my life

genxsis

#14 Post by genxsis »

Good Golly! This whole "forever" thing kind of makes me wonder.....

How about this as an alternative to braces if your teeth are just crooked and it's mainly a "it's to make your teeth easier to clean" issue:

Just go out and buy $500 or so of high end dental equipment at the store and use it diligently for the rest of your life? That's a whole lot cheaper than braces! And braces themselves cause you to have to buy alot of stuff anyway because they make it harder to brush anyway!

Is this a viable alternative? It just seems like an overwhelming hassle either way you do it.