UK people - NHS or private?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scrap_metal

#1 Post by scrap_metal »

agreed, started out at Hemel Hempstead then moved to Norwich. the move put me back 6 months but hey, i'm not paying for it. It did take me ages to find a dentist who'd agree to refer me to the hospital though.

cookie

#2 Post by cookie »

I'm having my orthodontic treatment done privately (but my normal dental work is covered by an NHS dentist). It's costing me £2400, but at the end of the day, I can afford it, and am quite happy to spend the money on improving my teeth (just like if there was something that really bothered my about my appearance - which there isn't! I would pay for cosmetic surgery) I spend a lot of money on cosmetics, hair, clothes, and for me, improving my smile (and bite) is just as important.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Svensk Tiger

#3 Post by Svensk Tiger »

I am eligible for NHS treatment as my problem is functional but I opted to go private because the waiting list was horrendous (I get married in 2 years and it wouldn't be done in time). It's costing me £2500 for the orthodontic treatment and around £7000 for the surgery. :shock: My fiance and I can't really afford it but we don't have much of a choice as we are very likely to be moving abroad next year and I certainly won't get free treatment in the US! :lol:

LoobyLou

#4 Post by LoobyLou »

I have actually gone down both routes - I had NHS braces when I was a teenager, but they didn't really do a proper job as they didn't make any attempt to correct my overbite, only gave me a retainer for my top teeth and only told me to wear it for a couple of months. Now I'm undergoing private treatment which is costing me the best part of £3,000, am in Damon 3s and will wear my retainers for as long as I need to which will definitely be longer than a couple of months!

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

Svensk Tiger

#5 Post by Svensk Tiger »

LoobyLou wrote:I have actually gone down both routes - I had NHS braces when I was a teenager, but they didn't really do a proper job as they didn't make any attempt to correct my overbite, only gave me a retainer for my top teeth and only told me to wear it for a couple of months. Now I'm undergoing private treatment which is costing me the best part of £3,000, am in Damon 3s and will wear my retainers for as long as I need to which will definitely be longer than a couple of months!

LoobyLou x
LoobyLou - you're not on another (non-orthodontic) forum by any chance are you? It's just that I've spoken to someone with your username (also from the UK) and was wondering if you are the same person? I have the same username as here on this other forum so you may recognise me if it's you.

I'm going to be very embarrassed if it's just a coincidence of names! :oops:

littleshaddies

#6 Post by littleshaddies »

I've gone private. So it will cost me £3500 for my top and bottom ceramics. The very up side is that I didn't need to wait and I know I am looked after too. I haven't felt like being rushed trough the door every time, comparing with other NHS places. There is always an appointment whitin the hour if I need it. No waiting and being painfull. Same for ligatures change, I don't have to wait for the next appointment to change them if they are stained. I don't think you can get ceramics on NHS, you get what you get right?
You are treated that much better so it is all worth it. :-1
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

LoobyLou

#7 Post by LoobyLou »

Svensk Tiger...

No I'm afraid it's not me! Don't be embarrassed though, I'm obviously not as original as I thought!
x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

shandelsam

#8 Post by shandelsam »

im having treatment under the NHS which is free for me because im under 16. funny enough, my teeth aren't really that bad... they arent perfect tho.. jus abit of over crowding at the bottom and my top canines are a little crooked. my dentist just referred me straightaway when i told him i didnt like my overcrowded teeth and i had my first appointment with my ortho the next week.. there was no waiting list whatsoever so im kinda confused.. cuz i read somewhere that under 16's can only ge braces treatment for free if their cases are severe. hmm. im gettin braced on nov 12th tho... so yea~ =]

happyhelen

nhs took aggggeeed

#9 Post by happyhelen »

i had to go private becasue NHS would have taken double the time for everything. if you pay the dentist will see you much sooner. (or at least my dentist will)
but for 3k im not suprised!!
xxx

arnette

#10 Post by arnette »

littleshaddies wrote:I've gone private. So it will cost me £3500 for my top and bottom ceramics. The very up side is that I didn't need to wait and I know I am looked after too. I haven't felt like being rushed trough the door every time, comparing with other NHS places. There is always an appointment whitin the hour if I need it. No waiting and being painfull. Same for ligatures change, I don't have to wait for the next appointment to change them if they are stained. I don't think you can get ceramics on NHS, you get what you get right?
You are treated that much better so it is all worth it. :-1
Hi there! Sorry to be nosey but I'm trying to do exactly what you're doing now (ceramic braces). I was assuming around 3000 pounds for the treatments so my questions to you are: (A) Did you shop around for prices? (B) How do you like the ceramic brackets? (C) What kind of payment plan are you on? I'd love to get my teeth straightened while I'm here in the UK for school so 2 years is my goal. But I can really only make this happen if the payments are reasonable enough (around 100 pounds a month). Thanks for your help!

weird_wired

#11 Post by weird_wired »

What I find interesting is that reading this, the UK private treatment seems to be very similar to my UAE private treatment. Whereas from other threads here, it appears that in the US - even though everyone is paying for it as there is no NHS - they get treated far worse (in terms of shared appointments, communal rooms). I was shocked when I saw people talking about this, but apparently it's quite normal here.

To be honest I can't even imagine anything communal under the NHS, but maybe it happens - they have mixed surgery wards after all.

littleshaddies

#12 Post by littleshaddies »

hi arnette

to answer your questions in order
A) when you shop you only get estemated price unless you go for consultation each time at different ortho but that is pricey. I did get few quotes over the phone, all simmilar so I went to the most distance convinient....in case of emergencies
B) I like the ceramic braces. I told pepole I am getting them, then I got them and two weeks later a lady at work asked me to my face...so when are you getting braced? Also they didn't irritate my lips much, havent had sores from them. I am happy with them but can't compare them with metal.
C) you pay your consultation of £90, if you don't want to pay the full price you will need deposit of around £300 and 24 months of £120, or you pay more deposit and pay a bit more each month for 12 months. The ortho office will fix you with a plan that works for you.

Hope this helps
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Svensk Tiger

#13 Post by Svensk Tiger »

LoobyLou wrote:Svensk Tiger...

No I'm afraid it's not me! Don't be embarrassed though, I'm obviously not as original as I thought!
x
Oops just saw this!

Ok, I don't feel too silly now, especially as I've discovered that my username isn't as original as I thought either! (Tried to use it to register on Yahoo but someone has it!).

weird_wired

#14 Post by weird_wired »

Meryaten - I agree, but the difference is that those communal UK hospital wards are public health care - they're free.

As soon as you pay - go private - everything becomes private, your own room, more attention, quicker appointements - it's all one-on-one. A private hospital room, and one-on-one treatment at your private dentist/orthodontist.

But in the US, where people are paying for private dental care, they are not getting private but communal treatment. The treatment costs appear to be similar in both countries, so I can only imagine that US dentists are absolutely creaming in the cash by having eight people in a room at once or something.