Latest adjustment - just got elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

missjess

Latest adjustment - just got elastics

#1 Post by missjess »

I've been braced for about 6 months now. I just had my latest adjustment yesterday. My ortho says she "likes what she sees". I do to - my teeth were pretty crowded before braces, and now I think they look really good!!
Anyway, she put me in elastics, which I have to wear all the time except when eating or brushing my teeth (I'm sure many of you know the drill).
The assistant told me my mouth would be sore for a couple days - and she wasn't kidding! Ouch!!!

Now, I have a question for you about elastics. I thought that elastics were close to the final step in braces treatment. Am I totally wrong on that? Originally my ortho said I'd have braces on for at least 2 years. It has been almost 6 months, and I think my teeth look great. With my elastics on right now, I look in the mirror and see my midline is lined up right. So...what on earth will I have done to my teeth for the next year and a half? LOL! I'm planning to let these next 6 weeks go by, and talk to my ortho about my progress at my next adjustment. But I wanted to get some input from you.

Thanks!
Jess

Doug

#2 Post by Doug »

Unfortunately, elastics don't always come right at the end of the process.
Everybody's treatment is different.
I got elastics within the first 6 months and had them for most of my 2.5 years in braces.

Also it may look like you are "almost done" but there can be a lot of small adjustments that can take a long time to accomplish. The big changes are more noticeable in the early stages. It's really hard to see much day-to-day changes as you get further along. Which is why it really helps to keep taking those photos on a regular basis.

Good luck to you!

Jazziboo

#3 Post by Jazziboo »

I got elastics 3 months after I started treatment and I wore them for 2.5 years until my last appointment.
Jazziboo

alexa

#4 Post by alexa »

I got elastics at my second adjustment, and still have them.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

missjess

#5 Post by missjess »

Thanks for the replies! Guess I can likely expect to be wearing these babies for some time to come.
It's good to know that some of you have worn them for awhile, as I had been under the misconception that it was a last step. At least now I won't get my hopes up that the end is in sight.

Thanks!
Jess

Evelyn

#6 Post by Evelyn »

Orthodontics is all about the fine tuning-while your teeth may look straight, there still could be lots left to do. There's a lot of work with tipping the teeth, leveling them, perfecting the arches and bite, etc. etc.

Much love, Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!