Rude things people have said to you

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

privatepilot

Hey Denise

#16 Post by privatepilot »

When that superintendent asked you how you were going to service your man with those grills in your mouth, the best response would have been"Just the way I serviced your man last night, and he seemed to enjoy it" HA!
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

hannah164

#17 Post by hannah164 »

That is so rude Denis and Aradia! The only really rude thing someone ever said to me was before I got braces. They told me I had "yucky" teeth and why didn't I get them fixed. It made me uncomfortable because I was already self conscience about my smile. I wanted braces but I couldn't get them yet. :x

-Hannah

jaws

#18 Post by jaws »

Well...I think my boyfriend's father has perhaps topped the rudeness scale...

Back before I got braces, he told me that I should get braces, because "It is very important for a woman to look good, and having straight teeth could mean the difference between marrying the man of your dreams and never having to work another day for the rest of your life, or marrying a total loser."
(incidentally I am currently pursuing my Ph.D., so I think it's pretty obvious that I don't plan to never have to work another day for the rest of my life!)

Now that I actually have braces, he has made various rude comments. However, the 'best' one was at a family birthday party...he was taking photos of my boyfriend and I, and after he was finished he came up to me and said, "Now, I don't want you to take this personally, but I don't think you should smile with your mouth open (i.e. showing my teeth/braces) in pictures, because you will look back at all of the photos that were taken during your time in braces and hate yourself in every picture."

Yeah, this guy is terrible! And he is probably going to become my father-in-law in the future--oh joy! :?
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#19 Post by nahky »

jaws wrote:Well...I think my boyfriend's father has perhaps topped the rudeness scale...
Back before I got braces, he told me that I should get braces, because
Yeah, this guy is terrible! And he is probably going to become my father-in-law in the future--oh joy! :?
What were your reponses to this guy Jaws?
He is a definate contender in the Rudeness awards.

Personally, i would smile nice and big. And say i have no problems with the way i look.

Your father-in-law to be sounds like an old fashioned fuddy duddy. Such sny comments! Reminds me of Marie in Everybody loves raymond being a total b*tch to Debra, :lol: lol!.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

Tin Man

#20 Post by Tin Man »

I got from a friend "You know they have clear braces and things now. You don't have to go around looking like that." He took a beating for that one.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

shinyam

#21 Post by shinyam »

Ugh, I hate stupid people who make stupid comments. :roll: Jaws, I hope your b/f is sticking up for you. Sounds like the father is not a very intelligent or enlightened man. :evil:

I have never received any rude comments, just surprise and comments on how young I look now.

But, ironically, I have to thank all the rude people who made nasty comments about my teeth BEFORE I had braces. Because without those comments I probably wouldn't have taken action at all. It's good to hear the truth, even though it hurts. I don't think I even realized how bad my teeth were until people (especially kids) commented on my fangs.

In Jaw's case, though, the father is not making any truthful but painful comments. Just plain stupid ones. Why he is doing so is a mystery. It's been my experience that those who like to put down people are the people most insecure about themselves. :idea:

2thjewelry

#22 Post by 2thjewelry »

I haven't gotten any rude comments (yet), but I've talked to lots of people my age, mid 40s, who are very intrigued and encouraged to see me wearing braces. I often hear from others that they are thinking about getting braces to correct crooked tooth, and after seeing mine they might just do that even though that's not why I got mine.

The comment from the professor was worse than rude, it was very offensive and ignorant and it has no place in a classroom or from someone in her position. She really should be reported to the Dean.

CB

#23 Post by CB »

I wonder if your superintendent has enough intelligence to realize with that comment he or she could very easily be paying for your braces and much more than that!

maddiesmom

#24 Post by maddiesmom »

I'm over 30 and feel old enough as it is but several times people have said, "Wow... isn't that something you're supposed to do when you're, like, 12?!!!"

The other day I was at work and my coworker said, "Aren't you a little old for braces?" and I said, "No, I think they actually make me look younger."

Another comeback I have:
"It was between the braces and the boob job but my insurance won't pay for the boob job." That tends to shut people up!!! :) HA! Take that.
Emily
Mom of 2 girls!
Braced since 1/19/05

medictrina

#25 Post by medictrina »

I have gotten any rude coments. People mainly tell me I look younger or it is a conversation starter. The best is the odd sense of a club I get when I meet other adults with braces. Perfect strangers talking about oral hygine and how long they have had braces for. Strange...

jaws

#26 Post by jaws »

Ha ha I like the comebacks!

Yes, my boyfriend's father is terrible in many ways. I haven't yelled at him or anything about these comments yet (although I'm sure I will someday!)...I usually just calmly stick up for myself. However, I think I might have to start making my comebacks more aggressive/assertive so that he really listens!
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

CelestialVoices

Re: Rude things people have said to you

#27 Post by CelestialVoices »

Aradia252 wrote:I was in class one day and the professor was going around to us individually, talking about midterms and what not. She sat next to me, and as I was talking she said "What is it that you always have in your mouth?!" :shock: I was shocked!! When I flashed her a smile, she made a comment like "Oh poor you..." then went on to tell me that she "prefers crooked teeth" and about how "we shouldn't care about beauty ideals." I thought this was very rude and unprofessional. But I'm sure there have been ruder things said... any one?
Wow! that's pretty bad, I don't have braces yet but luckily noone has said anything about how I slur words because of my Porter appliance (expander) :)

jennielee81

#28 Post by jennielee81 »

medictrina wrote:I have gotten any rude coments. People mainly tell me I look younger or it is a conversation starter. The best is the odd sense of a club I get when I meet other adults with braces. Perfect strangers talking about oral hygine and how long they have had braces for. Strange...
I haven't gotten any negative comments either. Mostly it's ignored...

The ONLY comment I've gotten at work was that I was described as "the cute blond with braces".

Then an 8th grader was surprised that I had any children at home (much less a 19 year old) because he thought I was barely 20. :wink:

Big change from the the 8th grader, 5 years ago, who sneered, "why don't you get braces you hag!" Image
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

butterfly

#29 Post by butterfly »

jaws wrote:"Now, I don't want you to take this personally, but I don't think you should smile with your mouth open (i.e. showing my teeth/braces) in pictures, because you will look back at all of the photos that were taken during your time in braces and hate yourself in every picture."
:shock: :shock: horrible!!!

This person has no slightest idea about a life without smile and laughter and what braces mean!!!

I think about it like this:

Before: Crooked teeth, trying to hide them, people noticing that = "she doesnt care much about looks and health and/or she is poor and cannot even afford a dentist".

Now:
Crooked teeth with braces, people noticing that = "she cares about looks and health, is brave, patient and has a lot of money!".

so whats better??? :D :D :D This is a no brainer for me! Why some people dont understand that??
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Gel

#30 Post by Gel »

wow, some people can be really rude. I'm not braced yet, but back in my teen years as a babysitter, the kids called me vampira! It was kinda of a joke, but still hurt. Can't wait to get braced though!

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel