How long is this gonna hurt!?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mmgreco

How long is this gonna hurt!?!

#1 Post by mmgreco »

I posted this for the docs also but wanted to see if anyone else has had an experience like this, I thought it would get better within a few weeks...

I got my braces 5 weeks ago and I have had pain for 90% of that time. My teeth will be "ok" one day and the next day they hurt so bad I can hardly brush them. Is this normal? I am going to my ortho next Thursday but wanted to see if I needed to call earlier. My gums and roots feel bruised right now they hurt so bad. Also I keep biting my cheeck in the middle of the night and I have a canker sore that just won't go away because of the repetetive biting....Please help.....
Live today as if it were your last......

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

I got braced a month before you, and eventhough I don't have the constant tooth, gums, and root aches you do, I totally sympathize with you on the canker sores and biting your cheeks.

This month has been a pain in the butt for me... I got springs that chewed up the sides of my mouth and cheeks, and now the wires and brackets seem to be digging into my cheeks and they are constantly swollen and inflamed. There has only been ONE day during the whole last month that I didn't wear wax during the day, asI usually have to wear it during the day and load up on it at night as well.

I know other people will say that this is all part of the experience, and eventhough it's a sucky deal for us right now, it will get a lot better. I'm sure that's what your ortho will say as well, but if it's bothering you that much, you should make an appt asap, and see if there's anything the ortho can do.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

Geri

#3 Post by Geri »

Hi mmgreco. I can sympathize too about the sores and biting of the cheeks in the night - it wakes me up most nights. We got braced about the same time but I haven't had constant tooth pain, at least not when I am not using them, so that doesn't sound so good. Sounds like you are going through a difficult stage but hang on in there, it will get easier! Also, yes, speak with your ortho as soon as you like if its really bothering you - you shouldn't be in pain all the time. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

hannerrr_xo

pain

#4 Post by hannerrr_xo »

thats odd, my teeth stopped hurting in about 3 or 4 days. i've had them for about 5 weeks now and they rarely, rarely hurt, only once in a while when just one tooth is a little sore - i suppose because it's moving. maybe you should talk to you orthodontist? maybe the wires messed up??