What The...?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

serendipity

What The...?

#1 Post by serendipity »

I got braced a couple of days ago and have noticed little metal squares (like a padlock) with a little hook on the top attached to my 2nd molar on both sides top and bottom. At first I thought it was an ending to the wire but then I realised it can't be that cause the wire then goes to the 1st molar - at the very back.

Are these turbos or what? :? All I know is the hooks are really digging in :evil:

Just curious...
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

naomi

#2 Post by naomi »

Are they like the hooks shown here?
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

Caralyn03

#3 Post by Caralyn03 »

they are for elsactics

serendipity

#4 Post by serendipity »

naomi - Yeah that's them! - are they for elastics like Caralyn03 mentioned? :? If so, I don't have any elastics :?
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

fyrelight

#5 Post by fyrelight »

You MAY get elastics later.... OR your ortho may just buy them with hooks already installed and he doesn't remove them.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

naomi

Re: What The...?

#6 Post by naomi »

serendipity wrote:naomi - Yeah that's them! - are they for elastics like Caralyn03 mentioned? If so, I don't have any elastics
Yep, those hooks are for elastics alright! If you do require elastics, you probably won't get them anytime soon. I didn't have any elastics until nearly a year into treatment. Also, not necessarily every hook will be used if/when you get elastics but they're there and can be used if need be.
serendipity wrote:All I know is the hooks are really digging in :evil:
Right now you need to try to keep the hooks covered in wax as much as possible. Those hooks willreally dig into your cheeks until they toughen up.
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

BraceUrself

#7 Post by BraceUrself »

don't lose hope though because it is AMAZING how fast your mouth toughens up & before long, you won't even feel those hooks! Good luck & stay positive!
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time