How long did you wear your expander for?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Aradia252

How long did you wear your expander for?

#1 Post by Aradia252 »

I just got back from an adjustment and I was surprised to hear the ortho mention taking out my bottom expander sometime in January. I just got the expander in September and figured it would be in for at LEAST 6 months. The expander doesn't bother me at all and I don't ever realize it's there, so I wouldn't have minded having it in for longer. I am just surprised I'll only have it in for a total of 4 months. Those of you who have/have had expanders, how long did they keep them in for?

Ceramics on top: 6/23/05
Lower Expander: 9/8/05, Removed: 3/30/06
Ceramics on bottom: 10/7/05

missjess

#2 Post by missjess »

I had mine for four months. I had gotten used to it, but wow, felt great to get it out!

Jess

braceface75

#3 Post by braceface75 »

About 9 1/2 months and I was so excited to get it out!
Michele

Braces and elastics since August 26,2004
Removable expander removed June 16,2005
Braces removed June 2,2006

shinyam

#4 Post by shinyam »

14 months and counting...

braceface69

#5 Post by braceface69 »

I had mine for two months. I was oringinally suposed to have them in for four months, but my mouth expanded so fast they weren't needed anymore. However once they were off and the braces were on I had a crank expander put in on top to open it a bit more. It was from that expander that I got this fabulous space between my front two teeth! But I only had to wear that expander for two months as well. So happy to be rid of them!

prettyjunk

#6 Post by prettyjunk »

i'm getting cuts on my tongue from the nance, since it's the weekend, i can't reach my ortho..is it suppose to do that then heal or am i having a problems?

OceanGirl

#7 Post by OceanGirl »

I've had my expender for 9 months now. I stop expanding at month 4 though. My expander fits together with a retainer which covers my bottom teeth to fix my overbite. I'm hoping that it'll be out in about 2 weeks *keeping fingers and toes crossed*
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on
Expander on top, TMJ retainer on bottom

Dec 17 2005
Expander and retainer out
Braces on bottom, bite blocker on top

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!

Debanding will be Sept 2007.. FINALLY

summergirl

#8 Post by summergirl »

just got my expander put in a few hours ago yuck yuck!!!!! How do you eat with this thing ,I can just about swallow never mind eat.....I would appreciate any help what soever ....I have to wear this for 3 months then he will make another one then I have to wear that one 2 to 3 months also .Then I get my braces....Any one else going through this I hope I am not alone..I don't think I am going to be leaving my home any time soon.I guess this is why I waited so long to get braces... I thought spacers were bad.How do you talk with this thing ?????

Aradia252

#9 Post by Aradia252 »

Summergirl, what kind of expander do you have? Is it for your upper or lower arch?

Ceramics on top: 6/23/05
Lower Expander: 9/8/05, Removed: 3/30/06
Ceramics on bottom: 10/7/05

summergirl

#10 Post by summergirl »

it is for my upper arch ...

bethne3

#11 Post by bethne3 »

I am getting both an upper and a lower expander put in on the 22nd. I was told that these will be in for 6 months. EEK!