How many orthos have you seen...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gemini

How many orthos have you seen...

#1 Post by gemini »

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum!
First of all, sorry if this is a repeated question. I did use the search tool, but it returned 938 hits - I didn't go through them all though... :(

Here is the question:
How many orthodontists did you see before choosing "the" ortho.?
What factors made you choose the one you did? Are you happy with your choice? Did you go with your "gut" feeling, or did you "shop around?"

Thanks!

jenns91civic

#2 Post by jenns91civic »

only saw one. hindsight is 20/20; i wish I had gone to a small private ortho rather than a big chain
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Barbiedoll

#3 Post by Barbiedoll »

I also went to a few (3 I think) before I chose the one for me. It's a smaller office, not a chain. He's been in practice for 15 years and is very active in professional orgs in his field.
I reject your reality … and substitute my own.

Geri

#4 Post by Geri »

Hi Gemini - I only checked out two ortho's before I decided on the second one. The first one was a smaller practice and it just looked a bit shabby and the ortho did not make me feel good - describing my case as 'complex'. This might've been true but it depressed me a little.

The second ortho I saw was at a bigger practice, but by no means a chain, very busy with a bright, welcoming waiting room. The staff were very nice and friendly and I trusted the ortho as soon as we met. She discussed my treatment, listened to my concerns, and I ended up feeling confident my teeth could be fixed in 18-24 months. I felt totally different walking out of the second office to the first - I felt great! It wasn't even about cost or convenience (ie being local)...it was all about gut feeling. I would have kept looking until I got that good feeling about a place. Good luck Gemini.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

naomi

#5 Post by naomi »

I chose the very first orthodontist that I went to and I haven't had any regrets about it so far. I was comfortable with the orthodontist and his staff right from the beginning.
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

butterfly

#6 Post by butterfly »

I chose one out of four doctors.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

alexa

#7 Post by alexa »

I went with the first that I saw...and I'm with jenns91civic when it comes to wishing I had gone to a small practice over a chain. It's not that the ortho is bad, or anything like that, it's just that she doesn't have much time for me because she is under so much stress and demand from a high patient load. There is little explanation or time for questions. I wish that money wasn't an issue for me, because I probably would've went to a small practice...I only went to my ortho office because their chain offers such a cheap payment plan for braces and being a recent college grad, I'm poor. =\
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

TuZZi

#8 Post by TuZZi »

It must be nice to have a choice. We have one ortho, and he travels all around our region and also has a practice in Alberta. He's only here for 4 days every month, and some months he doesn't even come, he sends his dad instead.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

JN_Woods

#9 Post by JN_Woods »

I saw 2 orthos before deciding.

The first was a general dentist who also practiced orthodontics. I went in for an Invasalign consultation and he told me Invisalign wouldn't work for me and that traditional braces would be better. I wasn't happy with the answer and I wasn't ready to start the braces process yet.

I switched to a new dentist a few months ago and I brought up the ortho thing and he made a recommendation for an ortho. I said I had been to the general dentist for a consultation and he said a traditional ortho would be a better choice.

The ortho, whom he said was the best in the area, is within walking distance from my apartment. How convenient. I really like the office, the orthos and the assistants. I'm very happy with my decision (at least so far).

Upper Braces & Both Expanders 9/14/05
Lower Braces 1/5/06
Estimated Treatment Time: 24-27 months

summergirl

#10 Post by summergirl »

I had a few appointment line up first was an assembly line ,I did not choose that one even though it was within blocks of my home.Second on was the one very friendly ,diffrent rooms for each person so I had privacy as an adult you want and need that...also it was not several appointment s to get started ...I love this guy he started immediately as an adult you want things to go quice the 1st guy it was about 5 apointments till I knew what it was going to cost me ...the one I picked told me in about 1 hour.Pictures mold and spacers on 1st visit... My dentist also recomended this guy ....very very happy with his GOOD LUCK ... :) :) :)