Butterflies Before Being Braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

decisionmade

#31 Post by decisionmade »

Thinking of you Geri....6:45 Am here in New England ..If you are even awake yet I'm sure you have butterflies..but honestly getting them on was only awkward..no pain involved..update us later!
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

mmgreco

#32 Post by mmgreco »

I can't wait to hear either Geri. My mouth feels much better today!!
I don't know if it's because I am scared to bite down or my teeth just aren't lining up like they used to but I might have a fun time trying to eat. Are you having that problem DM? :roll:
Live today as if it were your last......

decisionmade

#33 Post by decisionmade »

oh yes MMgreco..same here..my ortho said my bite will get much worse before it gets better and not to freak out..my most satisfying meal is either tortellin or ravioli cut up..finally something that fills me up..other foods like yogurt, pudding and applesauce, soup are staples too...I definately had less pain this morning when I woke up but am still taking alleve regularly...my teeeth still feel loose and sensative...I know its early but do you see movement yet?so nice to not be alone in this...looking forward to heairng how Geri survived!

mmgreco

#34 Post by mmgreco »

Yes, DM I definately see movement. Only 4 days with braces and I can see some minor changes in my teeth. My teeth today are feeling sensitive to the fact that if I drink anything it's kind of like a "shocking" feeling. I still can't eat, I just moosh everything on the roof of my mouth and swallow it whole. I am going to weigh myself Thursday and see if I have lost anything in the past week. Hey, I can stand to lose about 30 pounds!! :lol:
Meryaten, I am not sure what bite wafers are but if they can help me bite down then where can I get them!?! I haven't fully closed my mouth in 4 days, it just hurts too bad.
Geri, still waiting to hear how your b-day went...........keep us posted!!

decisionmade

#35 Post by decisionmade »

ooh mmgreco, sounds like you are having a tougher time than me..if I recall you have power chains right? maybe thats making things more difficult..I was able to eat ritz crackers..s-l-o-w-l-y yesterday but the idea of eating anything crunchier just gives me the creeps..i really miss my salads!I'm sure you kow this but make sure to get your vitamins etc..shakes and smoothies are a great way and I always have my blender on standby...i can bite down pretty hard now-considering--but my bite is soo messed up its awkward...no really bad pain anymore..just some sensativity and discomfort..i hoping to lose 10 more pounds and i'll be at my goal weight..i'm afraid of losing it too fast because i'm afraid i'll pig out and gain it back as soon as these braces are more comfortable..people keep telling me that in a couple more weeks I'll forget i have them on ..but hmm..I find that very unbelievable..I am soo super aware of them every minute...but i'm sure if we keep up the positive attitudes time will indeed begin to fly by or so I hope :D

Geri

#36 Post by Geri »

hello! Sorry I didn't post yesterday...my in-laws are here and I've been trying to be the 'host with the most' despite my almost total lack of bite and sore teeth. Can you tell I am feeling a bit sorry for myself today (although posting here has made me feel heaps better)! On the bright side, I am officially a member of the brace-face club! :-#)

So, how did it go? Thanks so much for asking, mmgreco and DM. I was so excited yesterday morning I got to the ortho's half an hour early! Well, the spacers were whipped out (hurrah) but before I had time to feel relieved the bands were being sized...now there's a fun process! After they had all been selected and cemented in place the ortho decided the top ones were too small and changed them! ouchy ouch ouch. :soremouth:

In case you don't know, I just got top ceramics and the lower bands fitted (lower metal braces go on in a month). No problem fitting the braces but wow it feels weird, don't you think? My face even looks a bit different because my lips don't close the same way (it's like I have to make an effort to close them). I haven't had much lips/cheeks soreness (although it's on its way) but I already have wax on the lingual-side lower bracket to protect my tounge. I have been doing salt water rinses and putting loads of lip balm on as they feel so dry. I have also been drinking like a fish (water - hot and cold) for some reason - it just feels nice. Eating is no fun, not even french toast which I love, so its soups and slim-fast shakes (as they are a nutritious meal replacement supposedly) for the next few days at least. Sounds like we are all in the same boat with regards to eating - the braces diet, eh? It could catch on :wink: Still, I keep trying to remember that this phase won't last long (I even got pretty used to the evil spacers) and it's all part of the journey to a lovely smile. Thanks, KK, hearing about your experiences really helps.

wow- mmgreco, you are beginning to see movement already? That's really great - I hope mine move as quickly. I hope it gets easier soon for us all soon! Sure it will and it IS great to know we are not alone in this. Keep me posted with your progress guys. :D
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

mmgreco

#37 Post by mmgreco »

Geri wrote: My face even looks a bit different because my lips don't close the same way (it's like I have to make an effort to close them). I haven't had much lips/cheeks soreness (although it's on its way) but I already have wax on the lingual-side lower bracket to protect my tounge. I have been doing salt water rinses and putting loads of lip balm on as they feel so dry.

wow- mmgreco, you are beginning to see movement already? That's really great - I hope mine move as quickly. I hope it gets easier soon for us all soon! Sure it will and it IS great to know we are not alone in this. Keep me posted with your progress guys. :D
Geri, I know what you mean by having to make an effort to close your lips all the way, I do the same thing. I have to talk slower than before, it is hard to say my "s" and "z" along with others. I use tons of chapstick but have not used any wax. Knock on wood, I have no sores in my mouth. :)
I have seen some very minor movement so far, it's only been 5 days though.
KK, I can't wait for the first 2 weeks to be over. But then when I get used to the braces, I have to go in on the 10th of November and have my first adjustment and it all starts over......
DM, yes I did get power chains on the top front 4 teeth and then in the back on the bottom. And I know what you mean about losing the weight too fast, here in a couple weeks we will be able to eat again and I'll put on the weight lost plus a few pounds. That's how it always works anyways. I am definately keeping a positive attitude and counting down 2 weeks so I can eat something other than mashed potato's, scrambled eggs, and cream of wheat again. :thumbsup:

decisionmade

#38 Post by decisionmade »

great to hear you survived it Geri!! the bit of sores I had have improved and I haven't used wax once yet..lots and lots of brushing and rinsing..keeping everything clean I think has been the secret to the improvement of the sores..I don't really feel them today..(the sores i mean)..we'll see what tomorrow brings....mmgreco my adjustment is nov 10 also..we certainly are on the same schedule...at that time I may change from wire ties to clear ligs..we'll see... GERI-wow hosting inlaws while going through all this--you really are brave!..and why do you have to wait a month to get the lowers on?..anyway i'm glad youare doing ok and now i can agree..it does get better!

Geri

#39 Post by Geri »

You know, having my in-laws visiting is helping to make the time to go by faster by keeping my mind occupied - I recommend it :D I even managed to eat out at a restaurant last night with no ill effects - NE clam chowder - yum! The only thing was, I got a bit cold walking back to the car - chattering teeth with new braces - can you imagine? :lol: I am going to keep warm from now on.

DM - I am having my lowers done in a month because I have a deep bite (I think its called, when the top teeth overlap the bottom ones) and there is no room for the braces. The orthos' original idea was to put them on at the same time as the uppers, with a bite plate, but I wouldn't have been able to close my mouth by at least 10 mm if that had been the case. She said that I would adjust to not being able to eat - true, but boy, I would have unhappy. So, she relented and I am getting them in a month when my top teeth should have moved outward enough to fit them on - and with no extension in treatment time too! It seems incredible that my teeth should be able to move so much in a month. I am taking lots of pics and will post them soon.

mmgreco - I too am talking a bit more slowly, and less often! I think its actually not a bad thing...I find that I am more thoughtful about what I say before I say it, and more concise - hehehe - odd side-effect of having braces.

KK, as you say good luck to us all....we'll get there, every minute is a step in the right direction!

decisionmade

#40 Post by decisionmade »

Hi Geri and MMgreco! how are you doing?? I'm doing pretty well and am eating more creatively..even had baby spinach sald last night at a friends..beleive it or not!..two weeks for me now and just posted some pics under my story..the movement is slow for me now but I can see very subtle change..so looking forward to m first adjustment! I hope you all are feeling good!

mmgreco

#41 Post by mmgreco »

I am doing quite well. I went in Tuesday to get a wire clipped, it was poking my cheek and driving me crazy. They clipped 3 of the 4 and tightened them. If felt good. I am still not eating alot, but have lost 4 pounds, which is fine. My teeth just don't line up like they used to. I will take pictures tonight and post them. :tingrin:

decisionmade

#42 Post by decisionmade »

mmgreco, I can't believe you've had so much movement that you've already needed wires clipped!! thats terrific!!..My two front teeth are now together-touching which is big for me..my sarpe surgery this summer had separated them lots ..I looked ridiculous but now feel quite normal :) ..well almost normal!..no iritations with the braces anymore but now a new one on my tongue due to my expander..you would think after all this time i wouldn't have that happen anymore..but its not that bad..
today:
my bottoms aren't so "pretty"...yet :lol:

any new pics Geri?

Geri

#43 Post by Geri »

Hi DM and mmgreco. I've been in New York on business since Wednesday so was out of touch....but I was so pleased to hear about your progess when I got back tonight.

I have to say the thought of meeting all those new people in NYC with my shiny new braces was a bit daunting but it was fine. Although I think my teeth look alot worse with braces, probably because the arch-wire is so very far from straight! Ahh well, it will just make the final result all that much better. The braces rubbed my cheek a bit after an evening of chatting but nothing major and it's fine now. I hope your tounge feels better soon DM. Your gap has closed and that's terrific! I am so happy for you after going through so much already.

I am finally back on reasonably crunchy food - hurrah! Chewing is still a bit tricky but at least it doesn't hurt. I hope that you mmgreco and DM are at that stage too, or nearly. Thing is, I get spacers in a week for additional molar bands, and then a week later a bite plate and lower braces - sigh - I feel like it might be like going back to square one pain-wise. Ahh well, at least I know for certain that it does get easier.

I don't see much change in my teeth yet but I get a warm glow to know that it IS happening, slowly but surely. I will post some more pics on my blog soon (and the url here) - promise! :D

decisionmade

#44 Post by decisionmade »

Great post Geri..I can relate to that warm glow a bit:)....and facing all those people with your new look.. while a bit scary is probably the best way to get used to them...finnally today there were 1 or 2 times that I spoke to someone and didn't think about having them..so for me thats progress!..I too am eating almost normally..I've been comparing photos and the wire is a bit straighter..I think the braces will look much beter when that wire is straight..but then Of course i'll be getting elastics..so I just can't win :wink: one day at a time as always just trying to get to my first adjustment Novemeber 10!

Geri

#45 Post by Geri »

Hey DM - I have just come back from Niagra Falls - it was awesome. As you can guess I am still showing my parents-in-law the sights. We have been eating out alot and I think I have the chew and swoosh with water thing down now. :D I have found, though, that once I have finished eating all I can think of is brushing - its really hard if I have to wait for others to finish their meals. :D

It sounds like you are already pretty used to having braces if you can speak with people and not think about having braces. :jump: I am still working on getting to that stage, but it's not far off. I too will be getting elastics - race ya to it! :D Jeez, I hope I get a minimal configuration, but what will be will be. One day at a time as you say.