Porcelain vs. Metal bracket

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lacy

Porcelain vs. Metal bracket

#1 Post by Lacy »

Hello everyone, I'm new to the board. I've done a search and haven't turned up any results on the cost of a porcelain bracket vs. a metal bracket, though I am in disbelief that this question might not have come up before. If anyone could enlighten me on this, please do so.

Also, if there is a cost difference, how large of a cost difference is this?

Are there any downsides, except being more fragile, to porcelain over metal? Any personal experiences that could be applicable to this question, please share. Thanks so much,

-Lacy

Chocoholic

#2 Post by Chocoholic »

Hi Lacy,

Definately metal brackets should be cheaper than ceramics. But I have both, ceramics on top and metal on the bottom. Many orthos won't put ceramics on your bottom teeth because it's harder than the metal ones and if your top teeth keep bashing them, you could damage your teeth. Plus metal brackets are much smaller than the ceramics ones so they also fit better on the smaller bottom teeth and who really sees your lower teeth anyway.

The cost of my treatment is the equivalent of 4,400 Dollars.

Hope this helps.

Choco

HollyDontSpend

vs

#3 Post by HollyDontSpend »

viewtopic.php?t=7171

The above link is the latest thread on ceramic vs metal braces. I guess it just depends on what words you were using when you searched. Good luck on your decision! :wink:
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

Lacy

#4 Post by Lacy »

Thanks for the link and all the advice! The information I'm getting here is helping me get closer to a decision I will be satisfied with.

I am beginning to lean toward metal, I'm 15 anyway, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I won't look out of place, in other words. I'll just be another teen with some materials commonly seen in kitchens stuck (or, cemented, rather) to my teeth... temporarily, of course.

Although my mind is almost made up, I still welcome any advice. I also think that much of the weight of my decision comes down to my impression when I see the actual brackets at my orthodontist on d-day.

Thanks, you guys, this advice is exactly what I've been needing.