Question about metal molar bands~

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shandelsam

Question about metal molar bands~

#1 Post by shandelsam »

hi everyone... id like to kno if all 4 of the metal molar bands have those hooks which stick out on both the inside and outside of the teeth... im sorry if you dont really understand what i mean.. its really hard to explain.. lol.. out of my 4 molar bands... only 1 doesnt have a hook on the back part of my molar... whereas the other 3 molar bands have hooks on both the back and front part of the teeth~ get it? :Questions: lol... ive been wondering whether my orthodontist forgot to put the inside hook on..

p.s. i havent got my braces on yet.. just the metal molar bands~

thanks alot~!

shandelsam

#2 Post by shandelsam »

Thanks alot! That really helped. I appreciate it~ :D

Jodster

#3 Post by Jodster »

I had my bottoms put on yesterday, and had to return to the ortho at 4:30 to have them file the "cleat" or removal lug as they referred to it (I prefer cleat, since I already feel like I have a hubcap in my mouth). :(

I am curious if any of you had such a hard time with the cleat cutting your tongue on the bottom lingual.

I have to wear wax on the outside of the bottom left due to the buccal tube cutting my cheek. Trying to be strong though! :P
^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^

Ceramic Uppers 9/6/05; metal lowers 11/8/05
4 bicuspids removed 10/26/05

33 y.o. male whose parents couldn't afford braces as a teen---and YES, I TOO AM OBSESSED!!

shandelsam

#4 Post by shandelsam »

Jodster wrote:I had my bottoms put on yesterday, and had to return to the ortho at 4:30 to have them file the "cleat" or removal lug as they referred to it (I prefer cleat, since I already feel like I have a hubcap in my mouth). :(

I am curious if any of you had such a hard time with the cleat cutting your tongue on the bottom lingual.

I have to wear wax on the outside of the bottom left due to the buccal tube cutting my cheek. Trying to be strong though! :P
Hi Jodster! When i first got them, they really cut my tongue and the sides of my cheeks up. My tongue and cheeks were quite sore for the first few days. I had trouble talking and eating because it was so painful but it's been almost a week now and it doesn't hurt anymore. One of my buccal tubes is digging into my gum and it still does hurt when i brush my teeth. Got to go ask my ortho if he'll adjust it for me during my appointment this sat. All in all, just give it a few days and you'll get used to it. Stay strong! =]

jenns91civic

#5 Post by jenns91civic »

I had them on all my molar bands and yeah they were annoying but I never put wax on them or anything. You'd be surprised what your mouth will get used to, but if your ortho will file them off, that's great.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys