Gum Chewing??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Caralyn03

Gum Chewing??

#1 Post by Caralyn03 »

My friend was told by the ortho to chew gum in the last month or so of her treatment! does anybody know why?

butterfly

#2 Post by butterfly »

Mine said that even right after an adjustment I should chew gum. This is weird because I thought that gum is a big no-no. He said there is a special kind that doesn't stick and that actually helps the treatment (blood flow or something).
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Caralyn03

#3 Post by Caralyn03 »

Thanks butterfly i was always wondering that

anybody else have any ideas

greencapt

#4 Post by greencapt »

I wasn't told about *gum* but I seem to remember someone at the ortho's office telling me that chewing anything (instead of avoiding biting into things as I still kinda do) helps to both loosen the teeth and promote movement.

But then again, maybe I was just dreaming that. :wink:

butterfly

#5 Post by butterfly »

I don't want to imagine chewing gum :shock: ouch :soremouth: but I chew on my tongue as much as I can. It alleviates the pain.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

Wow! I can't imagine chewing my tongue, it hurts too much! I would like to know what kind of gum that helps your teeth move after adjustments! I want some! I chew sugarless gum but I don't think its helping move my teeth along faster! :?

-Hannah

H Rogers

#7 Post by H Rogers »

My orthodontist has recommended that I chew sugarless gum right from the beginning. :D It does promote blood flow and so it then lessens the pain. I chew Trident because it doesn't stick to my braces. Xtra is a little bit too sticky.

jimmy18

#8 Post by jimmy18 »

My ortho's assistant told me not to chew gum, but that could because for the most part they treat younger teens, and maybe they don't pay as much attention to what is going on inside of their mouths.

jimmy18

#9 Post by jimmy18 »

My ortho's assistant told me not to chew gum, but that could because for the most part they treat younger teens, and maybe they don't pay as much attention to what is going on inside of their mouths.

Rebraced

#10 Post by Rebraced »

I was told to chew gum right away. They claim you will have less pain that way. I did and had no problems.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

genxsis

#11 Post by genxsis »

I ask about chewing gum at my last consult because I saw on their literature that bubble gum is a no-no. But I chew Extra sugar free right now because I like that it unsticks food from my teeth after a meal. Someone here said it also sticks to braces. My ortho said that Carefree Koolers gum is supposed to be ok.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

serendipity

#12 Post by serendipity »

Hi,

Yeah I agree with previous posters - in my orthodontic show bag I actually got a pack of sugarless 'dental' gum :P .
Dental gum - that's gotta be good right! :lol:
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

mmgreco

#13 Post by mmgreco »

My ortho gave me gum when I got my braces on, it is for braces. It is called Spry, I chose Spearmint. Here is a link to the site:
http://www.xlear.com/shop.aspx?cat=Spry+Gum+100+Ct.
I can't really chew right now but it tastes really good!!!!
Live today as if it were your last......

braceface2005

I chew gum anyways

#14 Post by braceface2005 »

On the instructions the ortho gave me it told me not to chew gum. But I chew it anyways. I just don't chew it daily.

medictrina

#15 Post by medictrina »

The no-no food list I got from my Ortho said absolutly no gum. I used to chew gum all the time because I'm usually very close to my patients when I'm talking to them. I want to be minty fresh. I'll have to ask about that dental gum or other sugarless. Thanks for the link!!! :D