Gum Chewing??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

medictrina

#16 Post by medictrina »

The no-no food list I got from my Ortho said absolutly no gum. I used to chew gum all the time because I'm usually very close to my patients when I'm talking to them. I want to be minty fresh. I'll have to ask about that dental gum or other sugarless. Thanks for the link!!! :D

dmb

#17 Post by dmb »

I was instructed by my ortho not to chew gum, but before braces I was in the habit of chewing gum every day, all day (not the same piece guys). I chew Orbit gum by wrigleys. It's supposed to whiten teeth, it's soft, it's sugarfree, tastes great and not stick to braces.
braced march 10th 05
guestimated end in 17 months :)

KJM

#18 Post by KJM »

genxsis wrote:I ask about chewing gum at my last consult because I saw on their literature that bubble gum is a no-no. But I chew Extra sugar free right now because I like that it unsticks food from my teeth after a meal. Someone here said it also sticks to braces. My ortho said that Carefree Koolers gum is supposed to be ok.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?
When my son had his braces this was the kind that they recommended. They told him they knew he would chew gum anyway, and this was the only kind he was allowed to chew. He never had trouble with it sticking.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

tokidoki

#19 Post by tokidoki »

I chew Extra Sugarfree. They have new Cool Wildberry and Cool Green Apple. It's a lot like Koolerz but it's cheaper and it lasts longer. You do have to be a little more careful though when you first pop it in.

spongebob82

#20 Post by spongebob82 »

I chew gum all the time too. Mostly dentyne sugarfree. I don't like the fruit flavor cause all I can taste is artificial sweetner so I do the mint flavors. Chewing is really good for getting your teeth to move.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple"

tokidoki

#21 Post by tokidoki »

dmb wrote:I was instructed by my ortho not to chew gum, but before braces I was in the habit of chewing gum every day, all day (not the same piece guys). I chew Orbit gum by wrigleys. It's supposed to whiten teeth, it's soft, it's sugarfree, tastes great and not stick to braces.
I wouldn't chew whitening gum while you're in brackets, the whitening will be uneven. I don't even use whitening toothpaste, for fear of yellow spots when the brackets come off.

I don't know if it actually makes a difference since I'm planning on getting them whitened after the braces are off, but I wouldn't want to risk splotchy teeth after suffering through braces for so long. Just my two cents.

newyork0068

#22 Post by newyork0068 »

hmm thats weird for you guys... i am strictly not allowed to chew gum... they give me like a teething type of thing to help with the pain and get the blood flow moving
~*Let me lift you to the sky*~

[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/image]
[/link]

jennielee81

#23 Post by jennielee81 »

I was told "NO GUM, NO DISCUSSION".

I chew it on the day of my adjustments. The pain goes away within a few hours. I chew Trident and have not had a problem.

I don't chew every day as I keep biting my lip Image
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

tubashaman

#24 Post by tubashaman »

I wouldn't chew whitening gum while you're in brackets, the whitening will be uneven. I don't even use whitening toothpaste, for fear of yellow spots when the brackets come off.

Sure wrong, the orthodontist will whiten your teeth when you get them off and itsalot easier doing spots